Multi-Colored Frosting

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 11:10pm by sillywabbitz

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 2

I am getting ready to do a Noah's Ark baby shower cake. I want to do the bottom tier as water, but I don't know how to make the different colors. I am going to frost in buttercream, and I want an effect similar to this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1479617

I have two questions, though -

- How do you make the color of the icing varied like that?

- How do you think the icing was put on? A certain tip? I usually use the icer tip, but I don't think it would work for this texture.

Sorry if these seem really simple - I'm just stumped.

Thanks!

1 reply
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 2

For the water you can take white frosting (separate a small bowl of white) and tint the rest blue. Don't over mix the color into the blue frosting so it's streaky. Then fold in the white to get streaks. Again do not over mix because you want the variation in color to stay. Then take a spatula (not icer tip) and do your best to literally slap the icing on there. You don't want it smooth in this cake. To make the waves, take a small spoon and drag the back of the spoon up in an upward swirl motion to create the waves. You probably want the icing pretty thick to get the nice effect. The best part about this is that it should not be perfect so not oo much stress there.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%