How Do I Make 2D Fish?

Decorating By cakeRocket Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 2:34am by corpsequeen

cakeRocket Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 6

I posted an earlier post about working with isomlat in regards to making coral and now I have another questions for all you lovely cake experts!

Still trying to decide the best route to take with making fish for my cake. I have a fish fanatic who has sent me a list of the type of fish in his tank and he would like to repicate them for his cake. Tried to search online about this but got very few results. Would it be easier to mold them out of fondant, gum paste or rice treats?? They need to be at least 2 inches in length and have enough detail to make it look similar to his own fish. My mind can't seem to decide which route to take with this and i'm getting increasingly flusterred!

I attached a picture of one of his fish. Beautiful but how do i make it out of edible material?? Any thoughts??

-flustered-

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 6

if you are making a flat image i would suggest printing pictures of the fish you want and creating a template with them. I do this to create most of my flat images. Just use tracing paper over the pic to create a line drawing and cut template pieces for fondant using the line drawing(s).

cakeRocket Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

What about 3D?

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 6

If its 2 inches or less I wouldn't mess with cereal treats I would hand mold fondant or modeling chocolate and paint it.

Coral3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

First Impressions have some really good fish molds.

corpsequeen Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

if you are making a flat image i would suggest printing pictures of the fish you want and creating a template with them. I do this to create most of my flat images. Just use tracing paper over the pic to create a line drawing and cut template pieces for fondant using the line drawing(s).

I do this as well except I don't have a printer so I just trace whatever picture I want to use off my computer monitor/phone then cut them out, place the paper over the fondant and cut the design out then paint/decorate it icon_smile.gif or you could try the same thing piped with royal icing, you might be able to get more detail in that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%