Please Help My First Big Cake

Decorating By kneenah Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm by kneenah

kneenah Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hey so on June 26th my friend is having her sons 1st birthday, in which i offered to do the cake. NOW, ive done little cakes as u can see in my pictures but ive never done big cakes nor have i ever stacked a cake...lol.. Soooooo i have a few questions for you guys if u dont mind asnwering....

1. Ive never worked with Gum pasted and I just bought the gum paste mix, should i have bought the already made? is it hard to mix?

2. When people say 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, do they meant take have the amount of gumpaste as fondant and knead them together?

3. does gum paste taste good?

4. Have u ever mixed ready to use fondant with MMF?

5. how long in advance can i start making the decorations for the cake using gum paste?

Stacking Questions
I was thinking about doing a cake Bottom layer was the HAM from cat in the hat, middle FISH BOWL bowl isnt cake, top layer the hat

1. what size should the HAM BE?

2. How tall should the hat be?

3. where should I place the dowels?

6 replies
fruitsnack Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
post #2 of 7

1. Ive never worked with Gum pasted and I just bought the gum paste mix, should i have bought the already made? is it hard to mix? I don't have any experience with the mix - I don't think it will be too difficult. What are you planning on making with the gumpaste?

2. When people say 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, do they meant take have the amount of gumpaste as fondant and knead them together? Yep! That's it exactly - it helps the gumpaste not dry too fast.

3. does gum paste taste good? Gumpaste isn't really meant to be eaten, as far as I know. It's meant mostly for flowers and other decorations - it dries super hard.

4. Have u ever mixed ready to use fondant with MMF I haven't, but I can't see why you couldn't - both are different types of the same thing.

5. how long in advance can i start making the decorations for the cake using gum paste? I've made them 2-3 weeks in advance - it's better that way to make sure they are dry enough.

Stacking Questions
I was thinking about doing a cake Bottom layer was the HAM from cat in the hat, middle FISH BOWL bowl isnt cake, top layer the hat

1. what size should the HAM BE? Don't know how to answer - how many people are you serving?

2. How tall should the hat be? Same answer - it depends on how many people you want to serve.

3. where should I place the dowels Usually every 4" in height gets a cake board and support (whether that is dowels or bubble straws, which is what I use).[/b]

kneenah Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 7

the cake is suppose to feed at least 120 ppl. So if i make the hat 8"s i should put cake board between them?

i am actually thinking about not doing the ham cuz i am scared...lol..I might just do a big book with the hat on top and make thing one,thing two and the fish on the side with the gum paste...

fruitsnack Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 7

For your first tiered cake, I would skip the sculpted ham on the bottom. And yes, if the hat is going to be 8" tall, it will need a board in the middle with support (dowels / straws) in between. Otherwise, it's likely to tip over.

kneenah Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:45am
post #5 of 7

how thick should i put the bottom cake? its going to be like rectangle cuz its a book

CakeCrystals Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:52am
post #6 of 7

Is it going to be a closed book or open book.

kneenah Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 7

closed.. :0/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%