A Little Advice From The Pros?

Business By stephaniejoy Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 12:12am by stephaniejoy

stephaniejoy Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello and thank you in advance for your advice... I am fairly new to cake design, I baked my first cake last fall and fell in love with it! I have always been artistic and have a professional background in graphic design, and working with sugar and flour has become a whole new medium to create in. My question is, how do I go from hobby to professional? I have gotten such amazing feedback from bakers and non-bakers, all saying I should own my own shop or be on TV (LOL), which really pumps me up. I've even had one of my cakes chosen to be in a cake magazine coming out soon.

I've been baking out of my home kitchen for family, friends and acquaintances, but I live in CA and cannot legally bake for profit from my home. I have looked into some co-op kitchens, but the closest ones are all the way across town, or charge $50 per hour, which would pretty much wipe out my profit. I wouldn't mind working for a bakery or being contracted by a baker to design, but again, it seems like all the bakeries hiring right now are at least an hour away ( I live in the South Bay area).

Is it out of line to send inquiries to local bakeries to see if they need help? Or to ask if they'd consider renting space?

I really love designing 3D and sculpture cakes, and I feel if I got a job at a large retail grocery store, I would become disinterested quite quickly.

So, any words of advice from someone who's been in my shoes or may have any ideas to get from hobby to professional? Please feel free to look at my work, and critique.

Thanks everyone, you all are so wonderful and supportive!

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 6

When I lived in Illinois I couldn't bake out of my home and there were no co-op kitchens anywhere within an hour of my home. I ended up renting a meal prep bussiness' kitchen by the hour AFTER they closed for the day.... the hourly rate was lower than most co-ops because they didn't staff it and it was not thier normal bussiness hours, so aside from electric & gas costs it didn't cost them much. Another thing to check into is if there are any small cafe's near you that might be willing to work out a decent rental rate if you also supplied baked goods for them at a considerable discount. Good luck

Emmar308 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 6

I'm no pro myself so i can't really offer you any advice, but i just wanted to wish you luck in your endevour. Having checked out your website, i just get the feeling you're a real natural at this, your cakes demonstrate a great talent and unique flair for design. All the best for the future xx

stephaniejoy Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

Amy... that's a great idea, since I am a night owl... icon_smile.gif Thank you!

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

Don't limit yourself just to places that offer rentals, contact the business owners and discuss it. In my case it was something they had never thought of before and it was a win-win for both of us.

stephaniejoy Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Emmar308!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%