believer Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #1 of

In my local newspaper they were talking about the A champagne wedding cake and said the non-alcoholic version would be a 7 up cake. Do anyone have the receipe for a 7 up cake. Could I just substitute the liquid in the "Pink Champagne Cake" with 7 up?

Thanks

17 replies
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of

I've made the 7up cake before -
You subsitute all the ingredients your cake mix calls for with one can on 7up.
Sugar free - use Diet 7up.
Chocoalte cake - use a can of coke!
Or Vanilla cake- use Creme soda
Lemon cake - Use 7up or sprite .. either or

artscallion Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of

I don't know if this is what they're referring to, but there is an actual scratch 7up cake that originated back when 7up came out as a new soda. It has a very particular texture and taste. You beat it for a full twenty minutes. It's one of my favorite cakes.

I'm at work so I don't have access to the recipe now but can post it later if you're interested.

imagenthatnj Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:51pm
post #4 of

It's actually a specific recipe from the 60s.

http://noblepig.com/2009/01/04/heads-up-7-up.aspx

But I think the one in the newspaper was just a regular cake that you can replace 7-up for the champagne. Not an authentic 7-up cake.

scp1127 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:25am
post #5 of

artscallion, I would be interested in the recipe. I have that box mix for mountain dew cake that I helped my daughter (who can't boil water) make, but I only make scratch.

artscallion Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:53am
post #6 of

Sure thing.

7-Up Cake


3 Stick Butter, room temp
3 C Sugar
5 Whole Eggs, room temp
15 Oz Flour
2 Tbsps Lemon Extract
3/4 C 7-up®

Preheat oven to 325°

Cream butter and sugar together for 20 minutes (yep, that's right, 20 minutes)
Add eggs one at a time.
Add flour and extract.
Fold in 7-up.

Pour into well greased 12-cup bundt pan.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Cool in pan on rack until it pulls away from sides.
Invert onto plate.

Note: This cake is the perfect cake to use as a lemon-soak cake.
Just make a lemon juice enhanced simple syrup. Poke skewer holes into the bottom of the cake while it is still warm and in the bundt pan.
Pour some syrup over. After inverting the cake, brush more syrup over surface of warm cake.
Drizzle with lemon flavored glaze.


[/u]

scp1127 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:08pm
post #7 of

Thanks, artscallion.

chefjess819 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:44pm
post #8 of

7 up cake is soo good. you can also sub different sodas for the 7 up to get different flavors. orange crush is great with an orange glaze on it. or cherry pepsi...lots of posibilities with all the different types of sodas out there... icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:52pm
post #9 of

chefjess819, are you referring to the box or the scratch recipe?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:03pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

In my local newspaper they were talking about the A champagne wedding cake and said the non-alcoholic version would be a 7 up cake. Do anyone have the receipe for a 7 up cake. Could I just substitute the liquid in the "Pink Champagne Cake" with 7 up?

Thanks




I have subbed the champagne with sparkling grape juice and added a little pink food coloring in it. The sparkling grape juice is non alcoholic also and I think a couple of brands are Welch's or Martinelli's

chefjess819 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

chefjess819, are you referring to the box or the scratch recipe?



scratch. i have a recipe that my "grandma" gave to my mom, and then to me.

scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:20am

Thanks chefjess. Is it similar to artscallion's or would you mind sharing?

LindaF144a Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Sure thing.

7-Up Cake


3 Stick Butter, room temp
3 C Sugar
5 Whole Eggs, room temp
15 Oz Flour
2 Tbsps Lemon Extract
3/4 C 7-up®

Preheat oven to 325°

Cream butter and sugar together for 20 minutes (yep, that's right, 20 minutes)
Add eggs one at a time.
Add flour and extract.
Fold in 7-up.

Pour into well greased 12-cup bundt pan.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Cool in pan on rack until it pulls away from sides.
Invert onto plate.

Note: This cake is the perfect cake to use as a lemon-soak cake.
Just make a lemon juice enhanced simple syrup. Poke skewer holes into the bottom of the cake while it is still warm and in the bundt pan.
Pour some syrup over. After inverting the cake, brush more syrup over surface of warm cake.
Drizzle with lemon flavored glaze.


[/u]




Wow! 20 minutes! I am so curious, what does it look like after 20 minutes and why that long?

I am going to try this just to see what it looks like. And what does it taste like?

artscallion Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:34am

Linda, I have no idea what the science behind it is. It doesn't look much different at ten minutes than it does at twenty. But I've tried stopping at ten and the final product just didn't have that same texture and quality.

You should try it first without the lemon soak and glaze just to see the pure finished texture and taste.

chefjess819 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:37am

this is my recipe

preheat the oven to 350.
cream together 3 cups granulated sugar, 2 sticks margarine, and 1/2 cup veg oil
beat in 5 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp almond extract (or what extract works with the type of soda you use), 3 cups all purpose flour, and 6 oz 7 up (or what ever soda you want to use)

bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes.
i've never had this recipe mess up on me no matter how hard i beat it, how little i beat it (used to not have an electric mixer), or how much my kids go tearing through the house. lol

scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:29am

artscallion and chefjess, thanks so much for sharing. I think these sound like fun recipes... scratch seldom gets to have as much fun as the box mixes!

scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:30am

artscallion and chefjess, thanks so much for sharing. I think these sound like fun recipes... scratch seldom gets to have as much fun as the box mixes!

Mrs CakeRookie Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm

AIs this 7up cake stackable for like wedding cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%