Twinkie Filling Recipe

Baking By nonilm Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 11:40pm by cakeyouverymuch

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 4

So I tried a recipe for twinkie filling last night. I searched through quite a few and they all were basicallly the same...flour and milk boiled until thick, cool and add sugar, vanilla, butter, shortening and salt. Beat for 8 to 10 minutes.

The flour and milk smelled like glue and didn't look too good but I continued. I beat together all the ingredients well and it really doesn't taste like anything at all. I am waiting until tonight to see if it gets better after sitting overnight but I'm not expecting much.

Has anyone made this filling? Have any tips? Or any sugggestions on a better filling? I have to make a large Twinkie cake for this weekend and I'm leaning towards just using regular buttercream.

3 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 4

How much sugar, shortening, butter, milk etc? Perhaps you need to add more sugar?

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 4

The recipe was

1C milk
5 tbsp flour
boil until thick, cool completely

beat in
1C sugar
1/2C butter
1/2C crisco
1 tsp vanilla
beating well after each addition

I just tasted it after being in the fridge overnight and while it is definitely better than yesterday it just tastes like vanilla. Maybe it will be OK with cake?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 4

My recipe has the same ingredients. The instructions call for making the custard, then while that is cooling beat together the sugar and fats for 10 minutes. After the custard is cool you add it to the sugar/fat mixture and beat till it looks like whipped cream--about 10 minutes more. The first time I made it I didn't care for it because after the sweetness of American buttercream it seemed too bland, but I liked the mouth feel. The second time I made it I increased the sugar by half a cup. It was much better to my palate and the extra sugar didn't change the texture much at all. I'd give it another try with more sugar. I also tried it with liquid coffee creamer instead of the milk. You have to be really careful with that because the creamer wants to burn. If I did it again I'd use half milk, half creamer. The taste of the creamer really came through.

If it has a whipped cream sort of flavor and texture I'd use it with the cake anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%