Hershey's Chocolate Cupcakes Won't Dome

Baking By lexi55033 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 1:04am by LindaF144a

lexi55033 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone else have this problem? Every time I make the chocolate cake recipe off the back of the Hershey's can for cupcakes, they look great in the oven. As soon as I take them out of the oven, they always flatten out. I've experimented with different oven temps and baking times, but just can't get it right. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try? My customers love the taste of this cake, so I don't want to switch recipes, I just wish I could get the cupcakes to look as nice as they taste!

Thanks,
Angie

9 replies
aces413 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 10

I've posted about this before...nothing I've tried has made them dome. icon_sad.gif I tried the 400 degree oven trick (heat the oven to 400 before you put in the cupcakes, bring it back up to 400 after you put them in, then drop it to 350), and they rose up higher, but didn't dome, so they were like tall cylinders...haha. I've given up trying, but if anyone has succeeded, I'm all ears.

My tops always end up shiny and sticky...anyone else also have that problem? I'm letting them cool completely before I cover them. In fact, they end up sticky even before they're ever covered...and it's not hot or humid in my kitchen. ??

zacl01 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 10

When I use this recipe I bake at 400 for the first half and then drop temp down to 350. They come out super moist and keep the dome. Good luck!

aces413 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:41am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacl01

When I use this recipe I bake at 400 for the first half and then drop temp down to 350. They come out super moist and keep the dome. Good luck!

Really?! Questions: how high do you fill your cupcake liners with batter when you do this? and do you bake the normal time or reduce by a few minutes since the oven is hotter half the time?

zacl01 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 10

I fill about 2/3 full and bake about 7 min at 400 and then 7 min at 350. You definately have to reduce the baking time a little bit. Maybe it's my oven but this is what works for me.

lexi55033 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 10

I was reading another post about the Hershey's Chocolate cake recipe and someone suggested substituting sour cream in place of the milk called for in the recipe. I tried that this weekend and it worked beautifully!!! I baked the cupcakes at the temp that I normally do for all of my other recipes, 375 for 5 minutes, then 350 for 20 minutes and they came out perfect. They were very nicely domed and still tasted great. I've definitely found the solution that works for me. Hopefully this post with help others too.

Angie

aces413 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 10

awesome! thanks to you both! Angie--glad you asked this question...I had given up!
thumbs_up.gif

ashley5260 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 10

I've experienced both of these problems (no dome and stickiness) and it has been so frustrating! I will definitely try these tips but wonder if they still come out sticky when using the sour cream?

lexi55033 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 10

For me, the sour cream solved the stickness problem too. They weren't sticky at all when I used the sour cream. I'd definitely give that a try.

LindaF144a Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:04am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacl01

I fill about 2/3 full and bake about 7 min at 400 and then 7 min at 350. You definately have to reduce the baking time a little bit. Maybe it's my oven but this is what works for me.

14 minutes is not long enough to bake cupcakes. You should try at least 18-20 minutes. Do they spring back when you tough the tops? And I mean spring back with no sign of indention.

What you describe where they sink after they come out of the oven is a classic sign of underbaking. Try 7 minutes at 400, 13 minutes at 350.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%