Help Wedding Cake

Decorating By funtasticake Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 9:09pm by CWR41

funtasticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtasticake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there everybody...I feel like i am having a huge problem here. i am doing a cake for May...the bride express to me that the groom does not like buttercream and she does. i gave them sample of my buttercream..and they did not like it. they said that there is to much icing and they don't care much of the icing..i don't hink i put to much icing. co'z i only made 1lbs. icing and still plenty left over. i cover a cake that serve 15-20 ppl. they don't like fondant..and they would not pay extra for cream cheese frosting...would i'll be able to use whip frosting and still decorate the cake?>> help plss.. or should i just say..find someone else?? icon_sad.gif

9 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 10

I personally would have the m find someone else. If you do not have time to experiment with a new recipe before the wedding, you are asking for a disaster. This is the point of a tasting, to me. Like it? Order. Don't like it? Look elsewhere. Good luck with this one!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 10

My grandma used to decorate wedding cakes with whipping cream, good stuff!
But.. if they don't like buttercream, and like cream cheese - I don't see why they won't pay for it.
lol u could always put canned frosting on there - some people that don't like homemade buttercream and are just too used to the canned stuff... icon_razz.gif J/K about the canned buttercream

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:51am
post #4 of 10

I would tell them to go somewhere else.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:03am
post #5 of 10

I agree that you should tell them to go somewhere else. It doesn't sound like they can agree between themselves about what they like - how are you going to make them both happy? It's not going to happen, and then you have a refund situation or a bad review on your hands. No thanks.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:12am
post #6 of 10

I would also have them go somewhere else. I only do cakes part time and if I have someone that is having issues at the very beginning of the order then they WILL become real pains by the end! Some things just aren't worth my time. The question here for them would be "what do you want?!" If they don't have an answer then they should move on.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

I would also have them go somewhere else. I only do cakes part time and if I have someone that is having issues at the very beginning of the order then they WILL become real pains by the end! Some things just aren't worth my time. The question here for them would be "what do you want?!" If they don't have an answer then they should move on.

Agree.. !

sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 10

I had the same problem too, one hates cake and the other hates icing. So guess what I did........I made a huge rice cripsy treat cake and they love it. I decorate it and everything with some gum paste flower and etc.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 10

One of the most difficult concepts for new businesses to understand, is that you actually DON'T want every piece of business that contacts you. Sometimes it's just not a good fit. Sometimes the red flags go up during the initial interview and you know you nee to cut them loose right away. Other times things develop over 60 email exchanges.

Oh look - there are some of those red flags flying!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtasticake

would i'll be able to use whip frosting and still decorate the cake?

You can't decorate with real whipped cream... it won't hold up (exception is to work in a walk-in freezer with frozen product).

You can decorate with a non-dairy whipped cream such as Rich's Bettercream or Pastry Pride.

(they might love the taste when it's fresh, but when it air dries it can get rubbery and crack... JMO.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%