Gumpaste Decorations On Buttercream

Decorating By leahm Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 12:51am by elliespartycake

leahm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahm Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a wedding caked iced with Italiam meringue buttercream with gumpaste leaves and flowers all over. I have cut out the decorations and am letting them dry. They are all very light. I always use fondant for wedding cakes but this bride insisted on buttercream.
How do I attach the decorations to the cake? I've heard that the gumpaste softens if its in contact with the buttercream too long. How far in advance can I decorate the cake? Does it make a difference the type of buttercream I use?
Thanks for your help
LeahM

2 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #2 of 3

I made a birthday cake that had gumpaste flowers on buttercream. I attached them with bc on Sunday night and my friend served it on Monday night and they were fine.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #3 of 3

My experience has indicated that the gumpaste decorations on buttercream are fine for 18-24 hours or so(depends on the temperature). I'd apply the gumpaste as close to the last minute as possible; I'd be tempted to apply the decor at the venue when I deliver. Just a dab of IMBC and they'll stick right in. After 18-24 hours the gumpaste can get soft and sloppy. I often try to do the decorations in modeling chocolate, if possible (though I can't get as much detail as I can with the gumpaste) since the modeling ch0colate doesn't get mushy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%