How To Get Wood Plank Effect On Buttercream?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 11:45am by klutzy_baker

fruitsnack Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to be making a Noah's Ark baby shower cake in two weeks. I've found several pics in the galleries that show fondant that's been textured to look like wood planks on the ark. I would like to do that, but I work 99% in buttercream. I'm planning on using crusting chocolate buttercream for the ark, but I'm stumped on how to outline the planks and give it that wood texture - any time I've ever tried to mark into buttercream, it cracks and looks messy, not polished.

Any ideas?

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 9

If you want to draw the markings I would do it before the buttercream has really crusted or just right after.

They do make an impression matt with the wood plank look. I haven't used it on buttercream but I have used other impression matts on buttercream before.

fruitsnack Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

I need to wait for it to crust, though, so I can use the roller method to smooth out the spatula marks / air bubbles.

Is there a way to let it crust, roller it and then moisten it again so I can put in the markings?

I don't have time to buy an impression mat to try . . . any other ideas?

caymancake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 9

When I did a Noah's Ark cake, I used the basketweave tip and just poked holes in the 'ends' - I liked how it came out... It's in my photos

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 9

fruitsnack if you have a Michael's near you (and a coupon), the new line of Duff stuff includes a wood plank impression mat so you it wouldn't require ordering online.

Otherwise I would go with cayman's suggestion of the basket weave.

fruitsnack Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 9

The nearest one is an hour away, but I think we're going to town this weekend. I will definitely check Michael's out. Thanks for your help!!

kimma1299 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #7 of 9

I found that sam Duff matt at Wal-mart with a brick one and it was $5. It really works, and I have tried it on buttercream. It works. Good luck.

Cupcations Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:45am
post #8 of 9

I also work with buttercream most of the time so I know exactly how you feel
I once came across this, I found it very cool & prob easy to do
HTH

http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/chocolate-faux-bois-cupcake?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/fancy-cupcakes2#slide_8

klutzy_baker Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:45am
post #9 of 9

^^^

LOL!! I should have looked at your comment before I looked all over the internet for this "idea" of mine. I actually thought I was clever. I'm really slow icon_redface.gif

But I did find a video of the technique. Sometimes videos can fill in the gaps that pictures leave off. I think this guy and Martha do it a little differently, but I don't think that's a big deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%