Whipped Cream Under Fondant On A Doll Cake

Decorating By blissfulbaker Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:36pm by blissfulbaker

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 5

I will be making a Belle doll cake in a couple of weeks. My friend wants whipped cream filling and icing under the fondant. I don't do much with whipped cream icing. Can it go under fondant? Would it work under a doll cake? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated, also if there is a recipe that works better under fondant please share it. The few times I have made whipped cream filling, I used whipping cream, powder sugar, vanilla, and Wilton clear piping gel as a stabilizer.

4 replies
jbs_caketoppers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbs_caketoppers Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 5

Well it really depends on how strong your fondant is, as I've used some that tears from any little streching and then some that you can easily, push and strech almost as much you like.

I haven't used cream directly under fondant, but I used it under marzipan and LOTS of it to make a dome shape swedish princess cake here ->
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1964093
and my believe is that most of the time fondant is stronger than marzipan, the only thing I'd advice is have everything ready made and put it all together the same morning and keep it cool, as if the fresh cream start "melting the fondant then it might tear. (I'm talking about fresh duble wipped cream).
Anyhow someone more experienced might have a different opinion icon_biggrin.gif

blissfulbaker Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you jbs-caketoppers, that was my fear too, that if the whipped cream became soft that the fondant would crack or start sliding. I use Carma fondant which is a very good brand but I am still a little scare to attempt this.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 5

DON'T DO IT!

I work banquets and last week a beautiful fondant covered wedding cake was presented. The fondant started to droop the longer as it sat out at room temp, but didn't look bad. The worst was when we cut into it. The fondant had "melted" where it came into contact with the icing. It made for a gooey, unappealing mess that was difficult to cut and did not make for a pretty slice. We tried to peel the fondant off, but it left a wet slimy mess on top so we just served it as is.

The cake maker had attended the wedding and I struck up a polite conversation with her to see how she made the cake (so that I would never make that mistake, it was horrifying). Turns out she used a "stabilized" whipped cream based icing. I knew immediately what went wrong. I don't think she even noticed because nobody at her table wanted cake, so I don't even know if she saw the mess it made. I wanted to take a picture of it so I could post in on here for a warning, but my phone had died.

blissfulbaker Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the warning, my friend will have to settle for buttercream. That is what I thought would happen but wanted it verified.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%