Get A Sharp Edge On My Cakes?

Decorating By dixiedarlin79 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 12:37pm by CakeCrystals

dixiedarlin79 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #1 of 8

I made my first cake this past weekend and it was 8 and 6 in rounds. I leveled my cakes and covered with buttercream and fondant. When it was done, the cakes looked rounded on the edges rather than sharp. The cake was pretty moist and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it or if it was just my inexperience. Any tips?

7 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

It's the nature of fondant.

Toptier Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:50am
post #3 of 8

For sharp edges it is best to use ganache and a thin layer (1/8") of fondant. Buttercream under fondant softens slightly under the weight of the fondant and rounds over.

Coral3 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:54am
post #4 of 8

I second the ganache.

cake_architect Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:04am
post #5 of 8

it takes a lot of practice to get sharp edges! for me, i ice my room temp cakes with room temp buttercream, smooth very well, then put in the freezer for 10-15 min, only until the bc is frozen to the touch (hard, holding its sharp corner). i roll the fondant fairly thin, cover the cake and use my smoothers to smooth the fondant, starting on the top and then working my way down the sides. the cake will get a little bit shiny when its coming back to room temp, but other than that you should have little trouble icon_biggrin.gif i hope that helps some!

dixiedarlin79 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:28am
post #6 of 8

Thanks guys! I'm glad it wasn't just me. I didn't expect to have a perfect cake by any means my first time out but this thing was a problem from the start lol. I had problems with the fondant tearing as I put it on also. I think I may not have rolled it out evenly or something. My friend was helping me and she said she had never had that problem before so I'm certain that part was all me! icon_lol.gif

bakingkat Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:35am
post #7 of 8

It also helps to get sharp edges by taking 2 fondant smoothers working one on the sides and one on the top, and smoothing them towards eachother to kind of force the fondant into nice corners, then the little bit of sagging won't be as much. HTH

CakeCrystals Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 8

GSA has edgers that you can use to get sharp edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%