Martha Stewart Cricut Cake?

Decorating By cab333 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm by cab333

cab333 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:11am
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone - I am trying to do my homework before purchasing a cricut cake machine. I have noticed on the HSN that there is a Martha Stewart Cricut cake machine, and then the regular red cricut cake machine. Does anyone know anything about this Martha Stewart edition? Can it only use the Martha Stewart Cartridges? If I purchase the regular red machine, can I then use the Martha collection on that "regular" machine.

Any help would be much appreciated!
TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
SophisticatedSweets Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:17am
post #2 of 12

Great minds think a like! I just posted a cricut question myself. :p I'll be watching for answers on this one, too!!!

SophisticatedSweets Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #3 of 12

Btw- was just reviewing the cricut site and yes- you can switch/use each others cartridges! They are also having a newer model come out in April that will also utilize the same cartridges. icon_smile.gif

dwbeall Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:40am
post #4 of 12

I bought the MS edition and the only difference is the color and the fact that it comes with a MS cartridge. I have used non MS cartridges and even non cake specific cartridges.
I spent many, MANY hours trying to cut without tearing and stretching. I was about to throw the machine out the window until i did some experimenting and figured out what works for me. I will share it with you so that you don't have to deal with the frustration...

I always add either gum Tex or cmc tylose powder to the material I am working with. Then working with a small manageable amount and covering the rest I roll it through my pasta machine to get it super thin and uniform. I find between 3-5 to be perfect. Then I smooth it out on the the shortening brushed mat and cut away! I never had good luck with freezing the gum paste and fondant like they tell you to in the instructions.

Happy cutting!

niccicola Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 12

The only reason i haven't purchased any type of Cricut machine is the fact that you have to buy cartridges for EVERY thing you want.

I'm waiting for the technology that gives me a Cricut machine that will let me do any .jpg. Maybe one that connects to my computer somehow. LOL shoot, I should start researching on how to make it myself!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 12

Cartridges can be purchased online for $15-25 each... not too bad of an investment. You can also purchase software to cut anything you want by connecting the Cricut to a computer.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

The only reason i haven't purchased any type of machine is the fact that you have to buy cartridges for EVERY thing you want.

I'm waiting for the technology that gives me a machine that will let me do any .jpg. Maybe one that connects to my computer somehow. LOL shoot, I should start researching on how to make it myself!

There are a couple of software titles out there that does it. Makes the cut and sure cuts alot!!

niccicola Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks, posters! I will have to check them out!

Tweedie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Cartridges can be purchased online for $15-25 each... not too bad of an investment. You can also purchase software to cut anything you want by connecting the to a computer.

Where can you get the cartridges that cheap?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 12

Diecutcentral.com, cricutmachine.com, ebay...

Tweedie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

I'll check those sites out...thanks, pinkpiggie78!

cab333 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks guys - your input is greatly appreciated! Now my partner and I are weighing the Martha Stewart vs The Silhouette.....choices choices choices!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%