Wilton Fondant Good Or Bad?

Decorating By nikkigonzalez Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm by lilmissbakesalot

nikkigonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigonzalez Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:13am
post #1 of 12

I've been using Wiltons boxed fondant for my cakes but have heard other brands and fondants that come in a bucket are better and easier to work with? Which fondant do you think is the best for cakes?

11 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 12

I use Wilton and think it is fine. They have greatly improved it and I no longer smell a chemical scent to it. I recently bought 6 different fondants and did a blind taste test with my family. Wilton did not come in last, nor did it come in first. It was right in the middle.

But for the price - full price at Michaels with no coupon - it retails for $4 a pound, this is by far the cheapest and most convenient. Why they don't sell it in bigger packages is beyond me.

I buy this because it is convenient being the only one I can get without ordering it over the internet. Also I don't need large quantities like others may need. Those are the reasons I use it. I have bought the Duff ones too when I want colored fondant. Again I buy this because of convenience. I can get it at my local Michaels.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 12

Honestly, IMO I think you have to find what works best for you. I've use wilton most because that is what I could afford. I just switched but a huge factor in that is my market is expanding & GSA had it on sale. My thing that I ask myself is would I eat it? One piece of advice I saw that really stuck with me was let your icing be the main event & not your fondant. So if people pull your fondant off they still have something to taste.

So just try the ones you're interested in MMF, Satin Ice, Wilton or which ever brand you want to use; find out what's the best for you. There are pros and cons in every recipe & brand. I know that probably doesn't help much...but just my 2 cents

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #4 of 12

I haven't tasted it in a long time, but thought it was gross when I did and the texture was off. You can get a bucket of Satin Ice pretty cheap on line. Global has 5 lb pails for $16 or so... with shipping it's no more expensive than Wilton and IMHO is easier to work with.

LindaF144a Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I haven't tasted it in a long time, but thought it was gross when I did and the texture was off. You can get a bucket of pretty cheap on line. Global has 5 lb pails for $16 or so... with shipping it's no more expensive than Wilton and IMHO is easier to work with.

In the bakery is used to work at they considered satin ice to be terrible to work with. We used fonderific to cover the cake and satin ice as accent pieces because it is the only one to come in colors.

Like I said and was posted here last summer by others,they have changed Wilton fondant. There are worst tasting fondants out there and the texture is great. All the cakes in my photo section, with the exception of the red one, are made with Wilton. And when we did our blind taste test with my family, satin ice came in worst for flavor and texture than Wilton.

If you have not tried it lately, you should.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:25am
post #6 of 12

I have tried Duff's fondant....great to work with, tastes good and doesn't harden. Satin Ice...use it a lot...I find it works good, tastes pretty darn good and doesn't harden to quickly. Duff's seems to be a bit softer. Wilton, harder to work with, dry quickly, harden quickly, great for making figures (1/2 & 1/2 with gumpaste) , tastes OK, and cheap (especially with coupons...but so is Duff's)...

So I quess there is a purpose for all of them...

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #7 of 12

I use Wilton fondant and I think it's great. Very affordable with michaels coupons, easy to work with, and tasty. I've never had complaints on taste from people who like fondant. The only other brand I've used besides Wilton is black satin ice that I splurge on at a local bakery that sells supplies. Out of the two buckets I've bought so far I find that it seems a little dry until I work some shortening into it and I personally think it tastes awful but I'm hoping that's just because it's colored..

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #8 of 12

I like Wilton. Cheap, easy to work with. The only time I'd buy anything else is if I needed black.

And it does taste and smell better now with the reformulation.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #9 of 12

LindaF144a, do tell. Which fondants came in first.

fresita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fresita Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #10 of 12

I'm a hobby baker so Wilton had always been the fondant that I chose, but I recently had a coupon for 50% off of Duff's fondant and I can truly say that it tastes a lot better. It was easier to roll and work with.

LindaF144a Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 12

Choco-pan came on top. It is also the priciest. Then fondarific, then Wilton, petinemce (but the texture was different. It was not kneaded first. That would have helped. Last and least favorite was satin ice and fondx. I do agreesbout duffs - easy to work withand and good taste.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

See I like Fondex because it doesn't really have a distinct flavor... it's just sweet. Though did you try the elite or the regular? I guess the elite has a white chocolate raspberry flavor to it and I can see where that might be off putting. It's not like the buttercream flavored fondants I have tried (satin ice and fondariffic) and it just sort of melts in with the rest of the flavors and doesn't compete.

I like the flavor of chocopan but hate working with it. Duff's is like Fondariffic and I'm not paying extra for his name to be on the bucket... LOL.

I really like Albert Uster's fondant, but it's pricey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%