madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #1 of

I have a big ball of flubber, how can this be fixed, can it....it tastes like marshmellow though there is no marshmello in it, I think it was a recipe to make marshmellow(ok I cant spell it) is there any way to fix this? I had the same difficulty with Toba Garrett recipe, only this is worse...any ideas or is it trash? ugh

71 replies
artscallion Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #2 of

Which version of the recipe did you use? There are a few floating around...one of them containing and error in amounts.

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #3 of

the one in cc in recipes

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:24am
post #4 of

Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant
Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)
Instructions


this one

cheatize Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #5 of

I made it once and had the same problem. I think I used the wrong version. If I remember correctly, there are two recipes on here and one has more gelatin. Use the one with less gelatin. I haven't been brave enough to try it again just yet, but I did print the recipe for the correct version.

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:37am
post #6 of

can I have the right one, if I ever get over being pissssssed lol I may try it

Renaejrk Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:48am
post #7 of

That is the right one, I posted it and got it straight from Michele icon_smile.gif There are a lot of factors that can give you problems, and I am not sure what you are having trouble with. Mine tastes like vanilla taffy almost and I use that very same recipe. Is it just too soft? Maybe it needs more powdered sugar? Sometimes, especially when it is warm/humid here I add a little tylose to strengthen it.

I have made this recipe over and over again for like 6 years and have had only a few problems here and there that I typically figure out or resolve, usually having to do with temperature and how much powdered sugar I add.

conchita Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:35am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I have a big ball of flubber, how can this be fixed, can it....it tastes like marshmellow though there is no marshmello in it, I think it was a recipe to make marshmellow(ok I cant spell it) is there any way to fix this? I had the same difficulty with Toba Garrett recipe, only this is worse...any ideas or is it trash? ugh




I don't which one is the correct recipe but I try to make it 2 times and I had problems with it when I try to cover the cake .

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:38am
post #9 of

I will never use it again ..........too much ingredients wasted.....I had to toss it....when I forst made it , it felt real nice....but when I went to check it out 24 hrs later it was like a blob of rubber......not for me....

artscallion Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:17pm

There is debate on CC over which is the correct recipe as one that is marked as "updated" contained errors but cannot be removed. So it stays here to continue the confusion. Michele, herself has posted regarding this confusion. But the confusion remains.

I use this version and it always comes out perfectly.

1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
1 dash salt
3 1/2 pounds powdered sugar

suzylynn58 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:40pm

I use the same one as artscallion and it comes out perfectly every time.

mclaren Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:56pm

I've been using the version that Renaejrk posted, everytime, since the year I joined CC until now, and it has been working for me. However I do add more PS that what the recipe calls for, and I attributed that to the fact I live in a hot and humid country.

I just love the taste of MFF. I even tried flavoring it with other flavors and never had a problem.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:13pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant
Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)
Instructions


this one





Don't give up just because it didn't work for you on the first try!!!! Mine didn't either. I tried the updated one and it didn't work either. I have learned over the 3 or so years of making it the feel and texture that works and I use the same version that you use.

I have a couple of questions:
If you say it was like a ball of rubber how much glycerin did you add. The 6 tsp or did you use 3 packs?

How warm was your liquid when adding it? If it's too warm you could add too much powdered sugar and that would make it too hard to deal with.

How much powdered sugar did you add, 2 full two lb bags or about 1 and a half?

I know that this may sound stupid but did you try to knead it? I am asking because sometimes mine feels a little stiff when I first start out and I will put it in the microwave. No more than 10 seconds at a time for a ball of it and that will help alot.

Once again don't give up !!

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm

ok well..............it says 6 tsp for half recipe.....
so I therefore used 4 TBS of gelatin...3 tsp in a TBS. 6tsp = 2 TB is half....I used too much because of those directions right?

thanks artscallion I will try that one before I throw in the towel icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

ok well..............it says 6 tsp for half recipe.....
so I therefore used 4 TBS of gelatin...3 tsp in a TBS. 6tsp = 2 TB is half....I used too much because of those directions right?

thanks artscallion I will try that one before I throw in the towel icon_smile.gif




no wonder!!! The 6 tsp were in reference just case you wanted to half the recipe!!! You actually doubled the amount of gelatin.

ETA: You are correct in the 6 tsp equaling 2 tbsp but if you wanted to half the amount of gelatin it would have been 1 tbsp or 3 tsp.

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:08pm

yes but I took it to mean if it was that for half then double for whole lol........it doesnt specify how much for reg

cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:30pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

yes but I took it to mean if it was that for half then double for whole lol........it doesnt specify how much for reg




The amount given is for the regular (whole) recipe. The amount in the parenthesis is what the 3 packets would measure to just in case you wanted to half it, then you would use 3 tsp not the 6.

madgeowens Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm

they should remove that recipe.....its a waste of time and money....now for artscallions recipe....I did that one today...at first I thought(ugh) not again....but I set it aside wrapped and after dinner took it out to fight with it, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was.now if its nice tomorrow I will let you all know.....icon_smile.gif
SO far I am tenatively icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

they should remove that recipe.....its a waste of time and money....now for artscallions recipe....I did that one today...at first I thought(ugh) not again....but I set it aside wrapped and after dinner took it out to fight with it, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was.now if its nice tomorrow I will let you all know.....icon_smile.gif
SO far I am tenatively icon_smile.gif




I disagree totally with you I use that recipe excusively and there are other people that do too. I am sorry that it didn't work out for you but again just because the recipe didn't work for you the first time doesn't make it a bad recipe. Sometimes we have user errors that will make all the difference. Ask me how I know icon_confused.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:04am

No kidding... I used that recipe for a long time just as you typed it and it worked every time. It's not a bad recipe, you just misread it. Nothing wrong with the recipe... just user error. Happens to all of us.

Once I made my vanilla cake recipe (twice in a row mind you) and doubled the leavening which causes your cake to look wonderful until it's almost done and then fall completely in the center. I was halving it in my head andmade the same mistake twice. Talk about pissing me off... LOL.

madgeowens Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:45am

yes but it should have the errors corrected for people and save them the trouble, I am not getting into an argument about this, which seems to happen too often in here, its my experience and opinion...no one has to agree.

costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:29am
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

yes but it should have the errors corrected for people and save them the trouble, I am not getting into an argument about this, which seems to happen too often in here, its my experience and opinion...no one has to agree.




But if the user is the one who doubles or halves the recipe, then it's user error, not a problem with the recipe itself. We've all done it, but this is a good example of why people complain that scratch baking is hard when they're really just doing something weird to the recipe, or substituting things they shouldn't substitute, or whatever.

I hope the new batch works for you.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:36am

What you are failing to want to get is that there is no error in the recipe. She kindly explained in parenthesis that 3 packets is 6 tsp to make it easier should you want to 1/2 the recipe so you do not have to guestimate what 1/2 a packet of gelatin is. This would save you from having to measure it all out of look up the equivalent.

All I was saying is that we have all scanned a recipe and flubbed something up. No need to trash the recipe... just make sure you don't make the mistake again is all.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:38am

Oh LOL... I was posting at the same time as you costumeczar...

So ditto!

costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:48am
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Oh LOL... I was posting at the same time as you costumeczar...

So ditto!



thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:49am

Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant
Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)

Looks like she is saying to make half its 6, so naturally if thats half what would you call the whole?ol lets drop it

ScienceKid Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:24am

Where on earth are you getting the half notion from? I too am one who successfully uses this recipe as written. And no, let's not drop it. Here is a classic case of someone not following directions, stomping off and pouting, and proclaiming the recipe is faulty. You have been clearly shown where you ma'am, are the wrong one, and you continue to argue. I bet Michele is sitting back shaking her head at this lunacy.

this-mama-rocks Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:53am
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant
Ingredients

3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)

Looks like she is saying to make half its 6, so naturally if thats half what would you call the whole?ol lets drop it




That's not at all what I understood it to say, but it seems to be confusing for you. Better luck next time, I guess!

madgeowens Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:04am

yes, well someone gave me correct directions and it turned out quite nice so far.

this-mama-rocks Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:12am

Well yes, the original recipe HAS the correct directions, so....yay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%