Anyone Else Have Trouble With Michelle Foster Fondant? Help?

Baking By madgeowens Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 3:10am by bobwonderbuns

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:13pm
post #31 of 72

Ugh... how can it be so hard to see that the 6 tsp is referencing the 3 packets?

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #32 of 72

I think the thing is Madge that rather than stepping back and saying "D'oh!! I totally flubbed that one up!" and having a good laugh at yourself you are so insistent that it was the recipe that was in error.

When I messed up my own recipe twice in a row... I stepped back and almost fell over laughing at how silly I was for it. I wasted enough ingredients for an entire 14" tier, but I still found the comedy in *my* mistake. I think that's what everyone is saying. Just laugh at your mistake and from now on you know that you misunderstood the directions. No need to delete a perfectly sound recipe.

icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:03pm
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Ugh... how can it be so hard to see that the 6 tsp is referencing the 3 packets?

Because she read that 6 tsp was half of the amount that is needed and didn't correlate that the 6 tsp was the amount that was in the 3 packets. icon_confused.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:32pm
post #34 of 72

Oh I understand where she went wrong... I can even see making the misunderstanding. What I don't get is after ALL of this... everyone's explaining... she is still insisting it was a faulty recipe and saying it should be removed when it wasn't the recipe that caused her fondant to fail... it was reader error.

The recipe does't say 6 tsp = 1/2 the amount of gelatin if you want to 1/2 the recipe... it says "3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)". Rather than reading it as it was intended, saying 3 packets = 6 tsp of gelatin to make it easier in case you wanted to 1/2 it, she read it was 6 tsp was 1/2 the amount needed. So rather than seeing it was her error it has to be a problem with the recipe.

Truly it doesn't matter... I just hate seeing a good recipe dogged because someone made a mistake. I am the type that, when I make a silly mistake, can laugh at myself and move on.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Oh I understand where she went wrong... I can even see making the misunderstanding. What I don't get is after ALL of this... everyone's explaining... she is still insisting it was a faulty recipe and saying it should be removed when it wasn't the recipe that caused her fondant to fail... it was reader error.

The recipe does't say 6 tsp = 1/2 the amount of gelatin if you want to 1/2 the recipe... it says "3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)". Rather than reading it as it was intended, saying 3 packets = 6 tsp of gelatin to make it easier in case you wanted to 1/2 it, she read it was 6 tsp was 1/2 the amount needed. So rather than seeing it was her error it has to be a problem with the recipe.

Truly it doesn't matter... I just hate seeing a good recipe dogged because someone made a mistake. I am the type that, when I make a silly mistake, can laugh at myself and move on.

I know!! There are many times when I laugh at myself when I make those mistakes and I laugh at myself quite often!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:52pm
post #36 of 72

LMAO... meeeeeee too! Especially at 2 am when you realize CRAP!!! I need a little extra of <insert component here>!!!

I don't want to to sound like I am harping on Madge... I'm not at all. All I am saying it lighten up and laugh. We all make mistakes girl!

icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #37 of 72

you can harp all ya like............I measured the amt in a packet and it was 1 TBS or 3 tsp.....the directions say it was for half the recipe.........I can read...............I just thought for others it would be nice if it were written correctly..............have fun

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm
post #38 of 72

I give up Magde. It's clear as day to me that the recipe is stating the total amount in the FULL recipe so you can more easily half it rather than trying to measuring 1/2 a packet. That's how I have always understood it and have never once had an issue making it other than not letting the melted mixture cool long enough so the fondant is a bit soft until it rests. I think you are one of the only ones who have had this misunderstanding. I see you are stuck on it. Have a wonderful time make the amended (same exact) recipe.

madgeowens Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm
post #39 of 72

I got a correct version from someone,but thanks/anyway

lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:26pm
post #40 of 72

icon_rolleyes.gif

madgeowens Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:00pm
post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

There is debate on CC over which is the correct recipe as one that is marked as "updated" contained errors but cannot be removed. So it stays here to continue the confusion. Michele, herself has posted regarding this confusion. But the confusion remains.

I use this version and it always comes out perfectly.

1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
1 dash salt
3 1/2 pounds powdered sugar

Thank you so much, so far it looks nice. I wonder can you nuke it a few seconds to make kneading easier or no? Thanks again!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:10pm
post #42 of 72

Sorry madge you have had so much trouble - when you measured a packet it was 1 Tbsp, when I measured a packet it was 2 tsp, so 3 packets is 2 TBSP for me icon_smile.gif - I really was just trying to make things easier, not harder lol! I am glad you have it figured out and now can enjoy this great fondant icon_smile.gif

I nuke it all the time, as long as it is just a little bit - don't want to melt it!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

Sorry madge you have had so much trouble - when you measured a packet it was 1 Tbsp, when I measured a packet it was 2 tsp, so 3 packets is 2 TBSP for me icon_smile.gif - I really was just trying to make things easier, not harder lol! I am glad you have it figured out and now can enjoy this great fondant icon_smile.gif

I nuke it all the time, as long as it is just a little bit - don't want to melt it!

it's a great recipe and I absolutely love it!!! Thanks for posting the recipe and thanks Michelle for coming up with it!!

madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

there are 3 teaspoons in one tablespoon....many people think there are 2...lol....so finally I measured the packets.here is the thing....I didnt have the packets I had a bag from the country store that you actually have to measure it..I read it as 6 tsp if you want to make half the recipe, and so I doubled that for full recipe which we now know will create flubber and or resole your sneakers.....icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #45 of 72

Yes, 3 tsp is a Tbsp - so your packet had 3 tsp and mine had 2 tsp - and 3 of my packets had 6 tsp, which is 2 TBSP. When she told me this recipe over the phone she actually said 3 envelopes icon_smile.gif and I proceeded to measure it for everyone when I posted the recipe.

I can certainly imagine if you only used 1 TBSP of gelatin the fondant would be a horrible mess!! lol I am very glad you got it resolved icon_smile.gif Sentence phrasing can be a crazy thing!

madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:43am
post #46 of 72

NO i USED 4....LOL.....BECAUSE THAT SAID 6 TSP FOR HALF THE RECIPE...OK SO i FIGURE, THATS 2 tbs....SO i DOUBLED IT...omg....IT WAS HORRIBLE...i THINK WITH CORRECT MEASUREMENT ITS PROBABLY GOOD....YOU COULD ADD A NOTE SOMEWHERE TO CLARIFY THAT MAYBE FOR OTHERS..SORRY FOR THE CAPS...i DIDNT LOOK UP UNTIL IT WAS ABOUT DONE LOL.....TOO LAZY TO GO BACK....THANKS FOR CARING SO MUCH, YOUR A SWEETHEART! <3

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:46pm
post #47 of 72

OMG, enough already. madgeowens is right and everyone else is wrong...........NOT!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:54pm
post #48 of 72

I read the recipe and made it as is and it was PERFECT I tell you... PERFECT!!!! It's easy to work with smooth as all get out and tastes good. The only bad thing for me it that I am allergic to beef and so the gelatin really bothers me and I can't eat it. But that's not the recipe it's my reaction to an ingredient. This recipe is a great one- when followed and made according to the correct measurements and instructions. icon_wink.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

YOU COULD ADD A NOTE SOMEWHERE TO CLARIFY THAT MAYBE FOR OTHERS..

OK, maybe this will be helpful lol thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

1/2 cup milk (1/2 cup is more than 1/4 cup but less than 1 cup)
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe) (USE 6 TSP OF GELATIN, NOT 12, 6!!!!!! 6 TSP!! 6!!!!!!!!!)
1 cup corn syrup (1 whole cup)
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted (3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter)
3 Tbsp glycerin (3 Tablespoons of glycerin)
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more) (2 teaspoons of vanilla)
dash salt (a dash of salt, not much, just a dash)
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once) (3 to 4 pounds of powdered sugar, not 34 pounds lol)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:43pm
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

Quote:

YOU COULD ADD A NOTE SOMEWHERE TO CLARIFY THAT MAYBE FOR OTHERS..

OK, maybe this will be helpful lol thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

1/2 cup milk (1/2 cup is more than 1/4 cup but less than 1 cup)
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe) (USE 6 TSP OF GELATIN, NOT 12, 6!!!!!! 6 TSP!! 6!!!!!!!!!)
1 cup corn syrup (1 whole cup)
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted (3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter)
3 Tbsp glycerin (3 Tablespoons of glycerin)
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more) (2 teaspoons of vanilla)
dash salt (a dash of salt, not much, just a dash)
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once) (3 to 4 pounds of powdered sugar, not 34 pounds lol)
*note all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CCer)

Is a dash more or less than a peck? icon_wink.gif

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #51 of 72

Give the poor lady a break! She interpereted it wrong...get over it! She came here for help, not to be told how to act or read. I'm sure it's not THAT important to everyone that she voices her concern about the recipe being ammended, we already figured out it can't be erased, so please, stop arguing and get back to the original concern at hand. Madge-I use this recipe faithfully. Sometimes I put too much ps and after letting it sit, it becomes kind of rubber like or too hard, I just knead and knead. I know this wasn't the issue, but I'm just letting you know in advance, because when I mix in the ps, it feels wonderful. Then, after letting it sit for the amount of time, it becomes "harder" so don't get discouraged if this happens to you! This is a wonderful fondant recipe...let us know how it turns out!

madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #52 of 72

There are some girls that come in here for no other reason then to be nasty. It is very sad. I feel quite sorry for them.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #53 of 72

And some just come to whine and get sympathy. Those are the ones I feel sorry for.

madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #54 of 72

TIGGY JUST WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR PROBLEM? yOU ARE ON MY ASS IN HERE ALL THE TIME.........................................................LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE............THIS POST WAS NOT ANYTHING YOU NEED STICK YOUR IGNORANT NOSE INTO..............I THINK YOU HAVE BEEN BEING VERY RUDE TO ME, EVERY TIME I POST ANYTHING........FROM HERE OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU AND YOUR OTHER PATHETIC NASTY FRIENDS LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE. IF YOU WERE FACE TO FACE WITH ME YOU WOULD NOT SAY A WORD...........YOU ARE N INTERNET COWARD!!!

tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #55 of 72
Quote:

TIGGY JUST WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR PROBLEM? yOU ARE ON MY ASS IN HERE ALL THE TIME.........................................................LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE............THIS POST WAS NOT ANYTHING YOU NEED STICK YOUR IGNORANT NOSE INTO..............I THINK YOU HAVE BEEN BEING VERY RUDE TO ME, EVERY TIME I POST ANYTHING........FROM HERE OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU AND YOUR OTHER PATHETIC NASTY FRIENDS LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE. IF YOU WERE FACE TO FACE WITH ME YOU WOULD NOT SAY A WORD...........YOU ARE N INTERNET COWARD!!!

I very seldom reply to your post but I do get tired of you going on and on about things. As far as calling people ignorant I find that a bit rude but then I just consider the source. You have no idea who my firends are so wouldn't know if they are nasty or pathetic. I can't say that being face to face with you would be pleasure but I could certrainly hold my own. On the other had I'm not the one calling someone out on an open forum and SCREAMING at them like a complete ass. Have a nice day madge and chill out.

Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm
post #56 of 72

madge - I would love to edit it, but it won't let me - I tried icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:49pm
post #57 of 72

What is weird is when I go to my recipes it doesn't even show up! It still shows my username on the recipe - strange! CC has always been full of "glitches" lol.

madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #58 of 72

Don,t worry about it, according to know it alls,its fine I am leaving cake central, there are just too many mean people...make fun of me if I talk about my arthritis, call me winy...I don't need this ugliness in my life...I jst thought someone else may read it the way I did...I hate this place they should/change the name to/click central!!! I am done

Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #59 of 72

madge - sorry you have had such a rough time! I have loved it here and not had a problem but I understand. I hope you are blessed in whatever you choose to do icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%