First Real Cake - Skate Park Party

Decorating By mkulikow Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm by sugardugar

mkulikow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkulikow Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 8

I will try and post the results as they finish but I am making my son a skate park cake for his party. It will be at the local indoor skate park. Thinking 9x13 cake, IndyDebi's BC, RKT and fondant park pieces.

Here is the sketch...

Here is the half pipe and fun box molded out of RKT and drying before BC and fondant. I think the fun box will be scaled down to be ~ 75% of the half pipe...

Double recipe of RKT with half the RKs whirled in the blender, came out REALLY smooth with only a few holes to fill...

Tomorrow I hope to have it covered in BC, and will make the rails out of fondant and tylose powder...[/img]

7 replies
mkulikow Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 8

Yeah, definitely wasn't feeling the"scale". Here are the RKT pieces in their final form...

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 8

Looks like you are off to a very good start. Good luck!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

Unsure if you meant you are covering the rkt in bc but don't! i did that yesterday and it gets flimsy.

Sorry if this isnt what you meant - just making sure you dont repeat what I did LOL

mkulikow Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Unsure if you meant you are covering the rkt in bc but don't! i did that yesterday and it gets flimsy.

Sorry if this isnt what you meant - just making sure you dont repeat what I did LOL

Really? I was going to use BC to fill the small holes and hold the fondant to the RKT. maybe I'll just use a few thin layers of fondant followed by a final layer to cover them.

Yours got soggy? Did you let them dry for a few days? I hadn't seen issues with soggy RKT here in CC.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 8

I use buttercream under my fondant on RKT. No problems.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 8

I just did a skate park cake for my son in January...and I used the RKT to mold the ramps also. I covered them in chocolate, let it set up, then used a thin layer of buttercream, and then fondant. It worked out great, and they came out really smooth.

The funny part is all the boys at the party were fighting over who was going to eat the ramps...they wanted those as much as they did the cake.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 8

I am unsure what BC recipe folks are using to not cause sogginess but I did it just yesterday for my gift box open lid cake and the lid just sagged and went soggy. I was using a wonderful crysting BC, too, Edna's cream cheese recipe.

I was warned in that same thread not to use BC so I know it wasn't me.

Most people on here seem to prefer ganache or melts. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%