Vanilla Sponge Cake

Baking By kimmy025 Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 7:22pm by caymancake

kimmy025 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 4

HELP!!!! i am looking for a basic vanilla sponge cake to use as a base of a birthday cake, i have just baked a sponge that i had from the international sugarcraft book and it turned out a flop!! anybody with recipes please feel free to post on here......thank u

3 replies
caymancake Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 4

This is the vanilla sponge that I use, this makes an 8 inch round cake, so you can adjust as needed to make more or less...

7 oz (200 grams) butter, softened
7 oz (200 grams) white sugar
7 oz (200 grams) self raising flour
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Sift in the flour and mix thoroughly. Add the vanilla and mix. Pour into prepared pans and bake at 315 degrees F for 50 minutes - 1 hour. This recipe can also be tweaked to obtain citrus flavours, coffee, almond, or banana. It's very yummy!

The other vanilla cake is serious cake's scratch yellow cake, which is shortening based instead of butter based. You can find the recipe on this site in the recipe section under yellow cake.

Hope this helps!

kimmy025 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

thank you! do you know how i would adjust recipe for a 10" cake please??

caymancake Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 4

For a 10 inch, up the flour, sugar and butter to 12 oz each. Increase the eggs to 7. Increase vanilla to 1 1/2 tsp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%