Rolled Buttercream Fondant Too Greasy

Baking By Tes705 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm by AnaB4

Tes705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tes705 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 7

handmade buttercream fondant is too soft and greasy. Receipe of 1 cp crisco, 1 cp karo, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 lb powdered sugar. I even tried to reduce the crisco to 14 oz instead of 16 oz and add a little more powdered sugar but by the time I get it rolled out and put on the cake it is ripping - help! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

6 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm.. you know it could be the temp of your kitchen. I keep my house at 60 to 65 in the winter. It makes a big difference with cakes. Try cooling it off in the fridge, and checking room temp.hth

Tes705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tes705 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry meant to say I tried using 14 oz instead of 16 oz of crisco when making a double batch

Sorelle Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

Wait, that is a ton of crisco for fondant! Try Michele's fondant recipe here on CC or go to designmeacake.com and use Edna's recipe, its good and less work than Michele's

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 7

I start with my basic buttercream made up--2 cups fat (crisco or half crisco & butter) with 2lbs. of PS. I add in some light corn syrup--maybe 1/3 cup and then knead in PS until I get a nice, rollable dough.

I roll it out between parchment paper & then fridge or freeze until it's pretty stiff. I use the warmth of my hands to smooth it out.

I find that just my hands make it greasy. Once it cools to room temp again, it's a little less so, but still often shiny. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Rae

Sorelle Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 7

I thought this was a really strange recipe when I first read it now I gotta try it!

AnaB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaB4 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

I've tried making it in the past and it was a disaster as well. But I get emails from a company called YummyArts.com and sometimes they post videos. Last week's video was making rolled buttercream, and the woman used hi-ratio shortening. Her rolled buttercream came out perfect, it didn't look greasy at all. I don't know if HR shortening makes a difference, but I may try it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%