Rolled Buttercream Fondant Too Greasy

Baking By Tes705 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm by AnaB4

Tes705 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 7

handmade buttercream fondant is too soft and greasy. Receipe of 1 cp crisco, 1 cp karo, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 lb powdered sugar. I even tried to reduce the crisco to 14 oz instead of 16 oz and add a little more powdered sugar but by the time I get it rolled out and put on the cake it is ripping - help! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

6 replies
Sorelle Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm.. you know it could be the temp of your kitchen. I keep my house at 60 to 65 in the winter. It makes a big difference with cakes. Try cooling it off in the fridge, and checking room temp.hth

Tes705 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry meant to say I tried using 14 oz instead of 16 oz of crisco when making a double batch

Sorelle Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

Wait, that is a ton of crisco for fondant! Try Michele's fondant recipe here on CC or go to designmeacake.com and use Edna's recipe, its good and less work than Michele's

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 7

I start with my basic buttercream made up--2 cups fat (crisco or half crisco & butter) with 2lbs. of PS. I add in some light corn syrup--maybe 1/3 cup and then knead in PS until I get a nice, rollable dough.

I roll it out between parchment paper & then fridge or freeze until it's pretty stiff. I use the warmth of my hands to smooth it out.

I find that just my hands make it greasy. Once it cools to room temp again, it's a little less so, but still often shiny. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Rae

Sorelle Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 7

I thought this was a really strange recipe when I first read it now I gotta try it!

AnaB4 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

I've tried making it in the past and it was a disaster as well. But I get emails from a company called YummyArts.com and sometimes they post videos. Last week's video was making rolled buttercream, and the woman used hi-ratio shortening. Her rolled buttercream came out perfect, it didn't look greasy at all. I don't know if HR shortening makes a difference, but I may try it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%