Idea Well Running Dry...need Suggestions Please

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm by cake_architect

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:27am
post #1 of 14

I have two cakes coming up in the next 3 weeks and I need some help with ideas. I'm trying to go different and unique, but for some reason these two are stumping me... the first is an aquarium bridal shower. The wedding i sbeing held at an aquarium and they want the bridal shower cake to match that theme. I was trying to steer away from the usual aquarium scene. It has to be elegant but fit the theme and I am drawing a blank. The other cake is a church is having a silent auction for the teens mission trip to Africa, they want me to incorporate the African theme with the mission trip theme.. maybe im just tired, but im having a hard time with these two! any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you all!

13 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:31am
post #2 of 14

with the mission theme maybe you can incorporate some of the main things that missionaries are "know" to help with ... Like school helping with literacy building a school so students have a place to learn; Hospital giving them medical supplies & shelter for good health care; Food & clothing I hope I didn't make things worse ...but theses are the top 3 things that come to my mind when thinking of a Mission to Africa

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:49am
post #3 of 14

omg pregnant mermaid definitely!!!
schools of fish with obvious male/female fish and their babies
baby octopi and their parents
etc

hth lol

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:14am
post #4 of 14

I can see mermaid, but pregnant mermaid? That sounds like shotgun wedding cake lol

sechrestloans Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 14

LOL I thought of having her fishing on a boat and catching the groom by the pants, and saying something like, Nice catch, or congrats on the Big Catch, but they dont want to go the funny route and I dont know if it is necessarily fits the "aquarium" theme... they want elegant.. so im stumped..LOL I love the african theme... Thank you!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 14

OMGGGGG

I feel so stupid.

Last night I read it as an aquatic *BABY* shower hence the preggo mermaid rofl!!!

sechrestloans Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 14

LOL too funny, but those are awesome ideas for a baby shower cake. I will have to keep that in mind if she books me for her baby shower cake down the road..**** fingers crossed*** LOL

msglo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msglo Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 14

i was asked if i could make a 3D tinkerbell cake..please help me with some ideas...any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 14

Im thinking for the aquarium cake, Bride and groom snails climbing up the side of the "aquarium" with other fish swimming around.

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:54am
post #10 of 14

I know its late in the game but here were my ideas. For the shower cake, what about a mermaid wedding with gumpaste figures with the happy couple's faces? Or maybe a cake with two dolphins "kissing" and forming a heart with their bodies? For the mission cake, what about a map to Africa with the "road" being icons of what they will be doing like a bible, a school house, a medicine bottle, ext. Good luck

manman1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manman1977 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 14

What about Oyster shells and pearls. Maybe having the bride and groom standing in an open oyster shell. with pearls draped every where. You could do some pretty sea coral to match the colors. And I've been to several aquariums and there are some pretty fancy fish in those things. May silohettes of fancy fish so you're not adding too much color.

HTH.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 14

old post i know, but hey someone may still need help with an aquarium cake! i had to do a sea turtle cake for a quinceanera and she wanted it to be 'elegant' also, so here's what i came up with

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1560727

maybe you could do something like that but stacked, with the shades of blue varying from top to bottom (i didn't do that as well as i had wanted too, it kinda looks like i just couldn't match the colors lol!). also, i'd say using minimal color would really help, in my case only using white against the blue.

just my thoughts icon_biggrin.gif hope it helps someone!

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 14

If it were me, I would do the aquarium cake as a more formal stacked cake, and do a glass fishbowl as one of the separators and put fondant sea life inside it (plants, fish, sand, coral, etc.) So it's aquarium, but still elegant. the rest of the cake could be white(maybe even with white coral making up the designs on it?)

For the missions trip, I've always loved the verse in the Bible about 'how beautiful are the feet of those that carry the good news'. So maybe the map idea with footprints along a path over it or something with that verse on it. Or maybe an African hut with a clearly american pair of shoes and a backpack with a bible sticking out of it sitting outside the door. Again with that verse.

Or go off of the Casting Crowns song, "Until the whole world hears" theme and do an African printed cake (like a print from African textiles/diamonds, stripes etc.) and then a few artifacts on top, a mask, a spear, and a Bible. Then put Until the Whole World Hears on the side of the cake?

And before anyone jumps on me...I realize that not all Africans use spears, wear masks and live in huts. I am going on the assumption that the missions trip is to a rural area. ;o)

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabaer

And before anyone jumps on me...I realize that not all Africans use spears, wear masks and live in huts. I am going on the assumption that the missions trip is to a rural area. ;o)

thumbs_up.gif lol love the disclaimer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%