Generic Brand Vegetable Shortening Vs. Crisco

Decorating By AutumnxFrost Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 4:53am by cakegirl1973

AutumnxFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AutumnxFrost Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

So I just bought a tub of Generic Brand Vegetable Shortening to make buttercream frosting because its much cheaper then Crisco. The brand name is Guaranteed Value. I bought it at Giant Food. I'm worried it won't come out as great as Crisco. Help?

Don't know if this would help but its ingredients are: Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil with mono and diglycerides.

Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g

Thank you!

6 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:02am
post #2 of 7

I buy the generic Walmart Brand of shortening with .5 trans fats and it works much better then Crisco. I am no longer a fan of Crisco since they removed the trans-fats. I just don't think it cooks like it used to. HTH.

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:07am
post #3 of 7

I buy Crisco still. I got a couple of different store brand and didnt like them as well. I got the walmart brand and it was almost soupy. I had to way modify my recipe to make it work

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:22am
post #4 of 7

Make a small batch and taste it before you use it on a cake. My half sister likes to make short cuts in her icing & it's not good. However, I know some from cake class that never used Crisco but their icing still tasted good.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #5 of 7

If you can find it try Sweetex hi-ratio shortening. It works like a dream!

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:35am
post #6 of 7

I also use the Walmart brand of vegetable shortening and it does a good job.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:53am
post #7 of 7

Whenever I run out of my hi-ratio shortening, I use Walmart's brand. I prefer hi-ratio, because it makes my icing so smooth. But in a pinch, the generic brand works just fine, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%