Sore Fingers!!

Decorating By SophisticatedSweets Updated 22 Jun 2013 , 12:25pm by emiko73

SophisticatedSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophisticatedSweets Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 3

Lately my finger joints have been absolutely killing me! Since I began working with fondant, back in 2009 or so, I have always made my own but lately I have been contemplating purchasing the buckets of Satin Ice or else wise. The kneading makes my hands swell up and my fingers ache I start to experience numbness when I actually attempt to begin decorating. BUT, the point of this...how many of you use pre-made fondant? How workable is it and how is the taste in comparison to homemade. I have come to realize that many people won't even give it a try due to their prior experiences with fondant, but regardless I still want something with a good flavor for those that do attempt to sample it!

Thank you!!

2 replies
sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 3

Many CC responses have been that Fondarific or Satin Ice fondant tastes much better than the Wilton brand. Hope this helps.

emiko73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiko73 Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 3

AA very late post here.... Besides Wilton I have tried pettinice, Fondx, fondariffic and satin ice. Pettinice tasted awful (though not as bad as Wilton). Fondx was just ok, but for some reason much harder to obtain than any of the others. Fondariffic has so many flavors an you can get samples too. A lot of people like fondariffic's flavors, but I personally would rather focus on the flavor of the cake. Also, I made some figures using gum tex in fondariffic. They turned out great, but even after drying them rock hard (2 days), they started to melt and get misshapen when I picked them up. It might have been my own isolated incident, but it was frustrating enough to turn me off fondariffic. Give them a try though, because you can get samples of their flavors (cinnamon roll is awesome). My brand of choice is satin ice. It gives me a bit of trouble when I'm making figures because if I'm not fast enough I get "elephant skin", but it's tasty. If you need to cover an entire cake with fondant, i would say making your own MMF or satin ice are the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%