Wilton Round Cut Outs And Calla Lillies

Decorating By Emmsie Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 11:15pm by Emmsie

Emmsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmsie Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:03am
post #1 of 9

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently did some calla lilies and am happy overall for my first attempt. The only thing I am disappointed in is that I would have liked the middles to be a bit longer. I followed the Wilton book to make them however I didn't have the Wilton round cut outs. I just estimated with some other round cutters I had.

If anyone has the Wilton round cut out set would they mind posting the diameter of the 3 sizes? This will also help me as I self teach myself through the classes.

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 9

When , i teach the calla lily in flowers and cake design,(wilton), we use the heart cutter. Edna(c/cer) designmeacake.com has a tutorial on youtube showing using a heart cutter. Why don,t you check this out. hth

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 9

I use a heart cookie cutter also. Makes a much nicer calla.

Emmsie Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:07am
post #4 of 9

Sorry, but I think I have confused both of you by not giving enough information. I am doing the calla lillies that are in the Wilton Gumpaste and fondant book. I have the Calla Lily cutter and former but it also says to use the medium round cut out for the center and calyx. I dont have the Wilton round cut outs and so I was hoping someone who did have them could measure them and let me know the diameters. I have quite a few other round cutters and dont really want to buy anymore.

Hope this clears it up icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 9

Round cut out for the center? It's not just a "sausage" you roll out?

I'm going to have to look these up, because what you are describing sounds strange. I'm sure it will make sense when I see it, but it sounds strange.

I wonder if I still have the book.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 9

I found the directions you are talking about online.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Small-Cake-Big-Ideas

Then I clicked on round cut outs in the instructions
and came up with this:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=417-432

a little Googling led me to:

5/8in; 1-3/8in and 2-3/16in

found here in the product description:

http://www.wantitall.co.za/Wilton-Fondant-Cut-Outs-3-Pkg-Round-5-8-To-2-1-2-W417432-6-Items-Order__B0033LX7BC

Good Luck!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 9

you dont really need the round cutter for the calyx or the middle peice. Its only done like that in class so that the student has a rough idea how much fondant to use. But just shape a smallish sausage for the inside thing, and actually its best not to use the green gp for the calyx and just brush that on with some green petal dust or grated green chalk.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:03am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

you dont really need the round cutter for the calyx or the middle peice. Its only done like that in class so that the student has a rough idea how much fondant to use. But just shape a smallish sausage for the inside thing, and actually its best not to use the green gp for the calyx and just brush that on with some green petal dust or grated green chalk.

That's why I was confused. A calla doesn't have a calyx. I also brush mine on and fade it as it rises. But if she wanted one - those are the sizes of those cutters.

Google some calla images and check it out.

Emmsie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm sorry I havent been back in before now. Have had a challenging week with a teething 6 month old who also developed conjunctivitis and a cold.

So much to learn from everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%