Bake Even Strips

Decorating By cowie Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm by KathysCC

cowie Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 32

Does anyone use the bake even strips by Wilton? I was looking at the package and the have a set for small pans and one for bigger ones. Can you not take the two smaller ones and pin them together to make a bigger one?

31 replies
Spectra Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:26am
post #2 of 32

Yes you can, but if you were to bake two 10 inch pans at once you cannot unless you have 4 strips... I found that out when trying to do my daughter's Ariel cake, and I had to bake one without strips, and boy what a difference! So now I own 4 strips.

dellababe Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:48am
post #3 of 32

Instead of using the bake even stripes I cut stripes of paper towel, fold them into stripes make them really wet and wrap them around the outside of my cake pans while the cake is baking. Works great!!!!

tryingcake Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:54am
post #4 of 32

I attach them together all the time and it works. I've also made my own, as the poster above. But I then wrap them in tin foil. You can use them a few times this way, just unfold and re-wet. Works every bit just as well as the premade Magic Strips.

cowie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 32

I didn't know you could make your own. Id be afraid to start the oven on fire lol. I was so afraid the first time I even used the premade strips. I kept checking over and over again to make sure there were no flames lol.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie

I didn't know you could make your own. Id be afraid to start the oven on fire lol. I was so afraid the first time I even used the premade strips. I kept checking over and over again to make sure there were no flames lol.

It really does work. I had heard of some people making their own with terry strips. I tried it once.

I'm believe that not wrapping them in foil works, because the previous poster said she does this successfully. That would make me the nervous the first time I tried it.

j0z1e Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 32

I made mine out of an extra receiving blanket I had, works like a charm!

TwoLittleEs Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 32

Maybe I'll try the paper towels next time...I've tried the Wilton ones over and over again and I still have an uneven cake at the end! icon_sad.gif

k-8sharon Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 32

Thankyou all! didn't know you could make your own--What would I do if so many of you were not soo kind in sharing!!!

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 32

OK - as we speak I'm trying the plain paper towels, no foil, even though I own strips. I have a lot of baking to do and not enough strips to go around.

I'm praying for no fire!!

I'm putting my trust out there!! icon_razz.gif

klutzy_baker Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

OK - as we speak I'm trying the plain paper towels, no foil, even though I own strips. I have a lot of baking to do and not enough strips to go around.

I'm praying for no fire!!

I'm putting my trust out there!! icon_razz.gif

I'm really interested in hearing how your cake turns out. I've heard of the terry strips but never paper towels.

Best of luck!! icon_smile.gif

ycknits Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 32

King Arthur sells baking strips with Velcro fasteners.... I love 'em and have enough to do multiples of my most common sized pans.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 32

klutzy_baker:

They turned out fine. Not as flat as the Magic Strips, but they were heart shaped pans that I purposely overfilled because of what I'm doing with the cake. So in all fairness....

Anyway, They did not catch on fire. The bottom edges were very slightly browned. The 2 cakes (at the same time) were in the oven about an hour. So slightly browned after an hour I feel is not dangerous at all.

I liked that I could Duct Tape them to the pan - so this worked nicely on a heart shaped pan. I taped in the indent of the heart and wrapped around, finishing with more tape.

Here's a pic of the after-baked strips:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8Nd4YQJWwoRUJR5LAVdjZ6IXQU4kpDJhOQooUdrVt0U?feat=directlink

I hope you can open it, I've never linked to this website before. If not, I'll post it on Flickr.

DeeDelightful Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 32

Good information to know.

Claire138 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #15 of 32

I've just brought the wilton bake even strips and although I've only used them once I actually think the home made ones are better bc they you can make them as high as you need where as the wilton ones only cover the bottom of the pan. I brought the wilton ones bc it was costing too much in tin foil and paper towels!

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:15pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

I've just brought the wilton bake even strips and although I've only used them once I actually think the home made ones are better bc they you can make them as high as you need where as the wilton ones only cover the bottom of the pan. I brought the wilton ones bc it was costing too much in tin foil and paper towels!

Well, as you can see, I just found out the foil is not necessary.. so that helps.

Right now I still like the Magic Strips best. But the paper towels worked just fine for those who don't have them.

I will most likely use both going forward, depending on what I'm doing.

klutzy_baker Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 32

tryingcake

Thank you so much for the update icon_smile.gif

I was able to see the pic and I'll definitely try these. Thanks again!

infinitsky Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

King Arthur sells baking strips with Velcro fasteners.... I love 'em and have enough to do multiples of my most common sized pans.

Do you mind telling me how long are the strips?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

ycknits Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:32pm
post #19 of 32

They're long enough for 8" and 9" pans, or you can fasten them together for larger pans (works for some, not all). Here's a link to them on the website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cake-strips

You got me thinking, though. I'll bet it would work great to just sew Velcro strips onto my longer ones that I usually pin. I'm inspired icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 32

I had the same thought. Do a small test run first to make sure the Velcro we can buy won't melt. I'd hate for you to be sad and ruin a bunch by sewing first and baking later.

Let us know. Thanks!!

cowie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 32

tryingcake - thanks for posting your results. I will remember that for the next time I use an odd shaped pan. I guess after a while the wilton ones would be more cost effective but it's great to know we have options! The velcro ones sound neat. I am going to google those. Thanks

travmand Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 32

I use an old bath towel. Cut to about 4 inches wide. Fold in half and soak with water. I clip it around the cake pan with bobby pins...the kind that clip not slide. Never thought about paper towels.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand

I use an old bath towel. Cut to about 4 inches wide. Fold in half and soak with water. I clip it around the cake pan with bobby pins...the kind that clip not slide. Never thought about paper towels.

I did that once years ago and it browned way to much the first time around. I don't know why it would do that more than a paper towel. Maybe it was just that one. But I never tried it again.

cutiepiecupcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:23pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand

Ditto.. works a treat thumbs_up.gif I don't even use a pin though.. I just tuck the excess of the end of the towel strip over itself.. like you do when you get out of the shower and wrap and tuck the towel around yourself... does that make sense lol?!! icon_rolleyes.gif

newbaker55 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #25 of 32

I use the Wilton strips and clamp the ends together with a metal binder clip. I had h*ll trying to get those flippin' pins worked through them icon_mad.gif

I tried the towels but seems that didn't work as well for me.

Good to know about options though icon_smile.gif Thanks for the paper towel info.

infinitsky Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:59pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

They're long enough for 8" and 9" pans, or you can fasten them together for larger pans (works for some, not all). Here's a link to them on the website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cake-strips

You got me thinking, though. I'll bet it would work great to just sew Velcro strips onto my longer ones that I usually pin. I'm inspired icon_smile.gif

Thank you, what I wanted to know is their lenght. I like to compare them to wilton.Thanks again.... icon_smile.gif

I already have the wilton bake strips and what I did was purchasing heavy duty velcro from the sewing section. They had sticky backs, I stick them to my strips and used them once to make sure they do not melt. Nothing happened after first use, no melting, foam or even strange smell. Then I just used a stapler and stapled them to the strip (I am really lasy when it comes to sewing).

I had them for 3 years and they still work fine.

infinitsky Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #27 of 32

I just realized how many spelling mistakes I have, I am so ashamed icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

cowie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:49pm
post #28 of 32

"I use the Wilton strips and clamp the ends together with a metal binder clip. I had h*ll trying to get those flippin' pins worked through them Mad "

I hear you! I hate the Wilton pins. I normally end up stabbing myself with them lol.

Gerle Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #29 of 32

They also have a set out that can be used for larger pans. The strips I have are made by JT Products, not Wilton. They have 4 strips in the package - one each for 10, 12, 14 and 16 inch pans. Only problem is you have to buy 2 packages to have 2 of each size. You could probably overlap the larger ones for the smaller pans, but doesn't work for the 16". Can't remember what the cost was but didn't think it was too much. They use what looks like a type of paper clip to hold the strip together instead of a pin. I like them and use them alot. They do make a difference. I have 2 sets of the larger sizes and 2 sets of the smaller sizes. I like the idea of velcro closures though, so plan on investing in some and attaching them to the strips.

VanillaCoke Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:09pm
post #30 of 32

I always use a set I made out of old T shirts. Soak them in cold water, wrap them around, and tuck the ends in. I've been doing it for years with no problems. Covers the whole side of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%