Monogram On Side Of Cake

Decorating By lilsis Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 3:04pm by Bonnell

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 12

Any suggestions as to how to put a monogram on the side of a wedding cake? It has scroll work on top/bottom of it also which will be on separate layers of the cake....I was trying to make it up ahead of time and then apply it to the cake when complete. TIA

Amy

11 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 12

Can you dry it on the side of a styro cake dummy of the same size so it will dry with the curve? Doing that would also ensure that you have the right size for the height of your cake tier. Or were you asking how to make it stick to the cake after it is made? That is an entirely different question, and would depend on what the cake is covered with and what the monogram is made of.

lilsis Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 12

sorry...I should have explained better!!

1- cakes are squares...covered in mmf
2- I was really asking what to make the monogram out of!! tried color flow -- didn't like....tried royal -- not liking 100% -- might need to retry that....not sure if I should try chocolate or if there is something else out there that I can try. Not sure if I could cut it out of fondant or not.....lines are thin in some spots....

any help/suggestions is/are greatly appreciated!!! =)

cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 12

Could you make a gum paste plaque and shape your monogram on that so that you would have a solid and therefore stronger piece when you come to attach it to the cake? That way, if you work quickly enough you could make the plaque ahead and dry it, then cut your monogram on the plaque so that you can peel away the scraps without moving the monogram itself. Then it wouldn't matter if the monogram itself has delicate parts because you won't risk breaking it.

lilsis Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 12

Ive never worked with gum paste ... and I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you are trying to suggest.....

cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 12

If you go here ( http://www.tobagarrett.com/cakes.html ), and look at the seventh frame down the page you will see an example of what I am talking about. If you click on the picture it should enlarge enough for you to see the monogram. That monogram is on either a fondant or gumpaste plaque which is attached to the cake with royal icing. In that photo the monogram itself is probably royal icing. I'm going to guess that Ms Garrett probably did the monogram after applying the plaque to the side of the cake, but I would do it before attaching the plaque simply because I'm not that good with piping on the side of a cake. Does that help at all?

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 12

I was going to say something similar to cakeyouverymuch. I's make a plaque out of your mmf and cut the monagram out of mmf in the color you want- you can print the momogram on paper and lay it over the rolled out mmf and then cut with an exacto knife- let it dry and attach to plaque.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 12

I did a monogram on a wedding cake in 2010. Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1382243.

I printed out the letters in the size and font I wanted. Taped it to the back of a cookie sheet and taped parchment paper over it. I used Royal Icing to outline the letters and then flood them with a slightly thinner version of the same RI. I let that dry completely. Then I thinned some more RI and painted it over the letters and let dry. Once completely dry, I removed them and put them on a cooling rack with parchment paper under it. I used the thinned RI and painted each letter and let it dry. I did this each day for about a week. The letters got a little thicker each day and more stable, and less likely to break. Once they were completed, I placed them on a piece of foam rubber that I had covered with Glad Pressnseal and put them in a rigid scrapbooking paper plastic box. With them in their separate holder, I transported them several hours a way to the reception site. I then dusted them with pearl dust and attached them to the cake with RI as I was stacking it. I had made several of each letter just in case, and didn't need any of the extra ones. As a matter of fact I still have a couple of them left over. icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Pam

lilsis Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 12

cakeyou --- thanks for explaining!! Now I know exactly what you mean!! Not sure the 'plaque' would go over with the bride (my niece is turning into a 'bridezilla!! love her but sheesh!! lol)!!

ptanyer - will have to try that idea.....i live in IL and am traveling to GA for the wedding and will be making the cake there so I want to try and get as much done as I can --- think this might be doable!!

I've uploaded a picture of the monogram she wants into my pictures (can't seem to upload to this message!!)....the cake is a 3-tier square.... she wants the scrolls seperated and put on the top and bottom layers and the initials be on the middle layer (in the colors shown).

Thanks for all the suggestions -- always interested in new ideas if anyone has anymore !!

Have a good day all!!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 12

I would cut it out of gumpaste and let it dry. It should be easy enough for you to put it on the cake after it is dry.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

Beautiful monogram! I had to save that idea to my favorites icon_wink.gif

What about cutting it out of gumpaste & fondant mix or fondant with gumtex mixed in, let dry and then coating it with RI. That would give you a stable base to paint on the RI on.

No matter what you decide to do, please post photos so we can see what you did thumbs_up.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 12

Sell your niece on the idea of a gumpaste plaque by telling her it can be removed from the cake before cutting and saved (if you do the design in gumpaste or fondant, not RI). I have actually put a few of my elements from cakes (flowers, plaques) into shadow boxes for the person to keep. The ones I have done it for loved it. She could include other elements with it such as a swatch of fabric, picture of the cake, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%