How To Make Fondant Look Like Old Leather? Any Tips?

Decorating By aprill65 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 5:20am by joycesdaughter111

aprill65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprill65 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to make a trunk, and I would like to make it look like old and possibly cracked leather if anyone knows how. Please help, any tips will be appreciated. I saw once done, but can't remember.

8 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, yes use light chocolate or brown colored fondant, roll really thin, apply and distress it by using a knife, poke some tiny holes in it. Then dust all over with cocoa powder using a large, soft brush.

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #3 of 9

just cover it with white fondant, make scratches that you want and then hand rub cocoa all over it. I made a Sorting hat like that (Harry Potter) and it looked awesome.. I also did the same thing for a balance beam cake I did.

dixiedarlin79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiedarlin79 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:01am
post #4 of 9

would these techniques work to make a distressed wood bucket for a beer bucket cake or do you guys have better suggestions for that??

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:17am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedarlin79

would these techniques work to make a distressed wood bucket for a beer bucket cake or do you guys have better suggestions for that??

For a wood bucket I'd get yellow and a touch of brown gel colors, mix with vodka or water and "paint" the fondant (after putting the distressed wood marks on) and let that dry. Works great!! icon_biggrin.gif

dixiedarlin79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiedarlin79 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:21am
post #6 of 9

Yikes! icon_surprised.gif I've never painted lol!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 9

It's easy!! Just dip the brush and up and down the cake!! Easy peasy! icon_biggrin.gif

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:10am
post #8 of 9

I've used chocolate fondant and let it dry and little then rolled it up and place it on the cake. Once you unroll it, it gets that "elephant skin". Dust a little cocoa powder on it and your set.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:20am
post #9 of 9

You can also purchase a small sheet of bumpy hard plastic covering made for flourescent lights at the hardware store and roll your fondant on that and dust with a little coco powder. It will make the fondant look EXACTLY like old leather.

Got that one from the doctors bag cake in a Collette Peters' book. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%