Transporting A Cake In A Small Plane????

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm by KJ62798

KJ62798 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 2

A friend is wondering if I could do her wedding cake--she is getting married during a marathon in Las Vegas.

My husband is a private pilot. I know if I say yes, hubby will want to fly there (2hr flight vs 4hr+ drive). The plane is unpressurized and we would have to get up to the 8K/9K range to clear the Cajon Pass on our way there. Plastic water bottles crush on themselves and my kid's sippy cup leaks through the valve.

Would a cake be OK? Or would the altitude make it "blow out"? We've been watching "Flying Wild Alaska" and the bush pilots there transport wedding cakes by small plane but those are starting at a reasonable high altitude.

Any ideas? Baking/decorating in Vegas isn't an option. We would be going up on Saturday for the Sunday race/wedding. I probably could finish it there (cover w/fondant, stack, decorate) if I did the BC at home and had all the decorations pre-made.

TIA
Kristy

1 reply
KJ62798 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 2

Would it be safest to do the cake in BC so that if it blows out, I can re-smooth it and then do the final decorations at the hotel?

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%