Today Is Not My Day

Decorating By KodiSnip Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 1:14pm by KodiSnip

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 15

I have a birthday cake for tomorrow and another for this week. I started baking today a 10 inch square chocolate fudge and when I went to flip the (luke) cool cake out of the pan, I dropped it! After cleaning it up I proceeded to bake another which turned out fine icon_smile.gif

Then I started to bake a 10 inch square lemon cake and was making lemon curd for the filling on the stovetop while the cake was baking. My elbow hit the bowl of fresh squeezed lemon juice and it spilled all over my kitchen floor. When the lemon cake was done baking, I went to take it out of the oven and the bake strip slipped and I dropped that cake too! icon_cry.gif I finally just turned off my oven and went to the cake supply store to clear my mind.

I am wondering do I dare start another cake??? lol icon_sad.gif

14 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 15

Oh, so frustrating! I guess things can only go better with the next one, right? thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 15

I think you did the right thing. Sometimes when everything seems to be going wrong, the only thing to do is walk away from it for a while (at least until you have regained some of your composure). You know what they say, " you can tell a lot about a person by the way they react in the face of adversary". I guess that says a lot for you. SHOPPING...YEAH! icon_smile.gif

KodiSnip Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for the birthday.gif encouragement! I called my mom (who got me started baking cakes) and she knew exactly what I was going thru - She laughed when I told her I was on my way to the cake store and she said "that's where it all started..."

icon_biggrin.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:46am
post #5 of 15

i so know how you feel...I have learned through many many mistakes that if I am tired, I need to GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN! If I am tired and trying to work on a cake it WILL either get dropped, messed up, or I will rush and make it look horrible. Not sure if you were tired or not, but either way sounds like you might need to take a little break. Sorry you are having such a hard time...hope your end result turns out better!

prettypixies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettypixies Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiSnip

She laughed when I told her I was on my way to the cake store and she said "that's where it all started..."

icon_biggrin.gif

Ha!! I love that!!

So did you remake the cake? What did you get at the cake supply store? We don't have one anywhere near here. icon_sad.gif It would probably be the first place I ran to also, lol.

KodiSnip Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 15

I ended up rebaking the *Cakes* later that evening. I felt so much better after I regrouped and cleared my mind.

At the cake store I bought my boxes/boards and I picked out some pretty edible purple glitter, premade purple fondant, and I picked out two or three new tips to try out. The cake store here in Phx is fabulous! They have everything a decorator needs and if they don't have it, they get it for you.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 15

About three weeks ago I was so tired, I decided to move my iced cupcakes while sitting on a cooling rack. I lost three. I told myself to be careful and wake up. I moved more on the rack and lost three more... all in about two minutes. Being tired or mentally tired is not good. I wasn't overworked, just getting over the flu.

prettypixies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettypixies Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 15

I try to take a few 15-20 minute sit-down breaks when I have a big baking/decorating day. Gives me a few minutes to stop and think, or just relax some tense muscles. Whatever works, right?

KodiSnip Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 15

thats a good idea to take breaks - I get so wrapped up in the ideas and timelines that I forget to take a breather and it will prevent dropping things....

scp1127 I hope you're feeling better thumbs_up.gif My floor has also seen its share of dropped cupcakes from the cooling racks icon_cry.gif so I started to use my large baking sheet pans (you know the ones with the 1 inch lip) after icing those babies so I wouldn't drop them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:51am
post #11 of 15

I know! How absolutely STUPID to move them iced on the cooling rack! And then do it again.

KodiSnip Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 15

Amen...if those cooling racks could talk - they'd be talking smack!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 15

I feel for you! All of us have had days like that! I was finishing 24 chocolate transfers WAY too late the other night & accidentally left a metal twist-tie on one of the bags when I reheated it in the microwave! Flames! Sometimes it's best to know when to quit (at least for the day!) Glad it all worked out! Thanks for sharing!

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:09pm
post #14 of 15

Yeah, am in my second day of hell over here... Baked a 10-inch square and when I flipped it over the cooling rack it broke. Baked another one. Then I burned my finger with hot sugar (that was pretty painful - blistered up right away). Then when I was icing, realized I didn't have enough filling... Had to deal with that. Then the RI wouldnt take with the shade of red... went to grab some more coloring and realized I didn't have any (they're out of stock at the shop that carries Wilton here) and no one else sells this stuff in Kuwait. Called up my mom and luckily she had some. Then I had wanted to start piping the RKT on Elmo's and one arm looked like it was coming apart. So I added some RI to firm it up and decided to step away before I totally lose it - went and spent the day at the beach. Just got back to continue with the piping and his arm totally collapsed! Had to make some extra RKT and remodel the arm, etc..... I still waiting! Lol!

KodiSnip Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:14pm
post #15 of 15

[quote] Then I burned my finger with hot sugar (that was pretty painful - blistered up right away).

So I added some RI to firm it up and decided to step away before I totally lose it - went and spent the day at the beach. [quote]

Ouch! I hope your finger is better... and I KNOW that totally getting away from it does clear your mind

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%