Airbrush Machine From Hardware Store?

Decorating By lstalder Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 2:25am by HamSquad

lstalder Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 10

I am thinking about buying an airbrush machine from Harbor Freight hardwared. Looks like it has the right kind of sprayer and paint holder. Can anyone think of a reason why this type wouldn't work for airbrushing cakes?

9 replies
tryingcake Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 10

No, not at all. Just clean it really well first. But you have to do that with the other.. huh?

I never thought of looking there! Great idea!!

cowie Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 10

I have wondered about this myself, but not sure if the 'gun' part that the food colouring would go into is food safe.. does that matter???

cowie Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 10

I have wondered about this myself, but not sure if the part that the food colouring would go into is food safe.. does that matter???

cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:01am
post #5 of 10

I don't airbrush, but you may want to research this a little before you buy. I have read that the airbrush should not exceed...and don't quote me on this, like I said I don't airbrush...should not exceed 15 pounds of air pressure. And it always matters whether something is food-safe.

julzs71 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 10

I have a testor compressor...miniature car painting. It works fine. I do have a kopycake airbrush though. For fine detailing make sure you get a good airbrush. it makes all the difference.

Smashme Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:45am
post #7 of 10

i use my husbands craftsman compressor, with a airbursh i bought at tcp global. com you have to be able to controll the psi and ours has a holding take (i guess thats what its called) so i got a water trap (about 20 bucks at sears, keeps the water or other things that are in the tank out of the airbrush)

Cakey1865 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:57am
post #8 of 10

I use one from Harbor Freight and I love it...

chefjess819 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:19am
post #9 of 10

i got mine from a truck load sale a few years back. i ran scalding hot water and dish soap through it before using it. the air compressor i run it with is one from a model car painting kit. works just as well as it doesnt have as much hard pressure behind it. i've had no problems with it catching on food coloring or anything like that. and it was a lot cheaper than the ones sold specifically for caking. icon_lol.gif

HamSquad Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:25am
post #10 of 10

I'm so glad this was posted. I bought a Sears Craftsman air compressor, I think it is a 3 gallon compressor. Needless to say I tried to use it with a beginner paasche airbrush that have no instructions and it did not work. I traumatized my little girly dog, Cookie, she was screaming, I was so frightened, she made me feel like I was going to blow the place up. It was so loud!! No air would come out when I went to use the airbrush. I have not touched the compressor since then. I know I didn't know what I was doing. I don't know whether to sell the thing or just do more research on how to use it. I was able to use the airbrush after finding info on the internet how to use can air with an airbrush. This was the only way I was able to use the airbrush thus far. After the trauma of the air compressor, I was scared to use the can. I'm laughing about it now, wasn't funny that day! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%