Writing With Icing - Glace Or Ri?

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 4:39am by motherofgrace

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 12

I am happily decorating all of my cookies with Glace now and love how it works. However, I find writing to be nearly impossible. I feel like it's the corn syrup that makes it so elastic. If I get it too thin, it doesn't hold the shape of the letters (even with a #1 tip). Too stiff and I can't get it to fall onto the cookie and round into nice shapes. I see so many beautifully lettered cookies on this site and most seem to be RI.

Does anyone have suggestions for making glace more workable for writing or do you all just use RI, even if you use glace for your base? If you use both glace and RI on the same cookie, how do you match colors?

Thanks!

11 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:02am
post #2 of 12

I agree that it is easier to get fine lines with royal icing. I also have problems with the glace icing spreading.

I've never tried it, but I wonder if it would be possible to add meringue powder to your glace icing once you're ready to write with it. I think it would help to stabilize the icing and would keep the exact color. Hmmm...I foresee some experimenting in my near future. icon_biggrin.gif

OneCreativeCookie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

I wonder if it would be possible to add meringue powder to your glace icing once you're ready to write with it.

Great suggestion! I've got some "experimenting" coming up this week and some left over icing so maybe I will give this a try! Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #4 of 12

I always use glace for my cookies. I thicken it until it is the consistency of peanut butter when I want to pipe outlines or do writing. It's a killer on the wrist, but it works fine for me. If I can get away with it, I prefer to do my writing using food color pens. Have you considered going that route? Americolor has a great product in their pens.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:48am
post #5 of 12

a little off topic, I find that i cannot ever get my #1 tips completly clean, Any tips on the Gem?

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:06am
post #6 of 12

Toba Garrett's book, Creative Cookies has the best tips for using glace icing in all kinds of ways. It's worth checking out if you don't already own this book. thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ, I love your cookie designs! Just wondering do YOU own Toba's book? If not, how did you get started?

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:36am
post #7 of 12

I used to think it was my icing that gave me trouble with writing.. I switched to PME tips instead of the Wilton brand I was using. Amazing difference.
I bought mine at Karenscookies.net and just ordered more today. I cannot believe the difference the tip made.
See for yourself...
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1965772

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

a little off topic, I find that i cannot ever get my #1 tips completly clean, Any tips on the Gem?

I just let them sit for a short time in very hot water, then use a tip brush.

KrisCraft, good idea about trying new tips! I've had good luck so far, but I've been considering trying PME tips simply because so many decorators swear by them.

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

KrisCraft,: good idea about trying new tips! I've had good luck so far, but I've been considering trying PME tips simply because so many decorators swear by them.

GeminiRJ: Thats exactly why I tried them. I looked everywhere in So Cal for them, no one carried them, I knew they were more expensive but so many cookie decorators swear by them, I wanted to try them. I cannot believe how amazing the difference was. I just ordered more. I have great writing on paper but could never write well with icing. I would switch between Wilton #1 (clogs, strings, squiggles) and a #2 (too fat for detail) The #1.5 PME was perfect.. I just ordered more of the 1.5 and 2 size. Hard to find but worth every penny in my opinion. I am just a hobby baker. Kris

OneCreativeCookie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:13am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCraft

GeminiRJ: Thats exactly why I tried them. I looked everywhere in So Cal for them, no one carried them, I knew they were more expensive but so many cookie decorators swear by them, I wanted to try them. I cannot believe how amazing the difference was. I just ordered more. I have great writing on paper but could never write well with icing. I would switch between Wilton #1 (clogs, strings, squiggles) and a #2 (too fat for detail) The #1.5 PME was perfect.. I just ordered more of the 1.5 and 2 size. Hard to find but worth every penny in my opinion. I am just a hobby baker. Kris

Wow! This sums up my entire trouble with piping/outlining! I am will certainly be trying new tips soon (this, just as I got to a comfortable quantity of wilton tip icon_wink.gif )

As for cleaning the tips I have...I keep a small cup of warm water (sometimes with a touch of dishsoap) by the sink while I am working. I just toss the used tips into the cup and when I'm ready to clean up, everything has dissolved out of the tips and settled at the bottom of the cup. If I have a stubborn speck, I use a toothpick, sometimes wrapped with a paper towel to clear out any last bits before washing in very hot, soapy water and air drying.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:31am
post #11 of 12

Very hot soapy water soak first then wash it works great for me.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

If I have a stubborn speck, I use a toothpick, sometimes wrapped with a paper towel to clear out any last bits before washing in very hot, soapy water and air drying.

AHH! This will help! I usually do the hot water, and it works in ALL my tips except for one of my #1's lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%