Shoot! I Messed Up A Detail On The Cake Order.

Decorating By sumerae Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 6:12am by indydebi

sumerae Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

A friend asked me to make her son's birthday cake, he wanted a gumball machine. She has no idea where he came up with that idea b/c he doesn't chew gum or get gumballs. So she asked if I could make a gumball machine and not use gumballs, sure. This is just a hobby so there is no "formal" order, just exchanged a few emails and talked a couple times, that was it. She specifically said no gumballs b/c he isn't allowed to have them (he's only turning 4) and asked if I could use M&Ms instead. no problem. However, I'm a huge skittle fan, I always have them in my car (chewing keeps me awake when I get sleepy driving) and in researching gumball machine cakes, saw a few done withe skittles. Naturally, I think the skittles would look better than m&ms, brighter colors, more round.

You can see where this is going, somehow I completely forgot she wantd m&ms, until I'already delivered the cake to her this morning. I feel terrible, she did pay me for the cake, so I feel even worse, like I shorted her on putting skittles in the bowl instead of m&ms. I left her a voicemail and a text asking ehr to call me as soon as she gets a chance. On one hand, she still got a great dealon the cake, $60 for a gumball machine cake, essentially 2 tiered 8 in. rounds (carved slightly) fondant covered, including bowl and skittles (that she didn't want) but on the other hand, it's not what she asked for! So I'm going to offer some money back for the skittles mistake, but I still feel bad!

8 replies
Sassy74 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 9

That doesn't sound like a *huge* mistake. I've made much bigger ones, believe me! I can't imagine a kids complaining about Skittles lol . If she makes a big deal of it, maybe offer her a small discount, but you practically gave her this cake...she better not say nothin' lol !!!

sumerae Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

I did have that thought, at least it was skittles and not cake flavor and filling, which was chocolate cake, PB ganache filling (2 batches worth!) and chocolate BC iced under the fondant.

tryingcake Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 9

I'm confused - you said, "like I shorted her on putting skittles in the bowl instead of m&ms."

If this is something she is adding - can't she just go grab some M&Ms - or you go get them?

kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 9

Hon if that is the BIGGEST mistake you ever make you are WAY ahead of all the rest of usicon_smile.gif
I bet she would not even have noticed until you kept bringing it up.....the e-mail & phone call).
She got such a steal on the price I would not be the least bit concerned unless she brings it up.

sumerae Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 9

I talked to my friend, she laughed and told me to shut up that the cake was awesome and delicious and the best cake she'd ever had. So I feel better now!

Believe me, it's not the worst mistake I've made, I bought red SI fondant, I've use SI before, but never in a premade color and never to cover that tall of a cake (it was 8 in. tall) and I had serious tearing and elephant skin issues....I took the fondant off 3 times, the 4th time was at least "salvagable", but I was extrememly frustrated by the time that was said and done. The cake itself was a simple concept, should NOT have been that difficult!

cowie Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 9

Id love to see a picture of your cake.
I bet she didn't even notice that you used skittles by mistake. Something to laugh about now. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 9

Glad she's okay with it!

I just found out this week that the pretzel MMs are actually very round...they would make great "mini" gumballs...

indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:12am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I just found out this week that the pretzel MMs are actually very round...they would make great "mini" gumballs...

that's a great tidbit of info! thanks for sharing that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%