For Keepsakes, How Hard Is 50/50 Vs. Straight Gumpaste?

Decorating By Blue94 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm by DianeLM

Blue94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue94 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 7

I have been culling through the archives on and off for weeks to figure this question out and haven't seen a definitive answer yet.

If I want to create sculpted figures that will last as keepsakes long after the cakes are devoured (I saved the pretty roses from the top of my 1998 wedding cake and framed them in a shadow box - they still look just as great as they did that day), would a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste harden and keep as well as straight gumpaste?

I am new to working with gumpaste after a course at our local Johnson & Wales U. (I discovered I had a hidden talent for sculpting after taking pics of and posting to facebook the Crayola Model Magic figures I was creating during art time around our kitchen table with my little ones - LOL!) I'm finding the cracking a bit frustrating, as well as the effort to get the colors where I want them, plus I work fairly slowly because everything is entirely hand-sculpted (little use of cutters, etc.), so I'm wondering if I could solve those issues by mixing in pre-colored fondant? If a 50/50 mix is only slightly harder than fondant and not great for saving, I guess I need to stick to gumpaste and keep working on my speed and coloring technique.

I suppose I should also ask if going the route of mixing pre-colored fondants (like pre-colored Satin Ice) with tylose would be another, equally good solution for making keepsake-sturdy toppers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice. icon_smile.gif I'm still in the playing around and experimenting stage, but I thought it would be prudent to collect the wisdom of those who have significant experience.

6 replies
Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

In my opinion, the gumpaste would last the longest. Make sure you are only using the amount needed that you are working on. You could also use pastiage which you cold roll thinner but this dries out faster than gum paste. I would suggest practicing using some 50/50 until your speed increases to avoid the gumpste from drying out too fast. Also remember to keep your extra gumpaste under a glass or wrapped in plastic while you are working. HTH

Blue94 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I am definitely going to play around with 50/50 and see how it goes.

Since I've got this thread going, is there such a thing as using too much shortening on gumpaste?

As I work with the gumpaste, I periodically smear a thin layer of shortening on my hands, and I've even smeared thin layers around the pieces that I put under glass when I'm not working with them. Can you overload the gumpaste with shortening (I've been using Crisco - anyone recommend anything better?) and prevent it from ever properly hardening?

I guess I'll be finding out soon since my first big creation is sitting out drying now.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 7

Any combo will last indefinitely if stored properly. Even straight fondant. I made the cake below in 2006 from various combos of gp and fondant and it's still in pristine condition.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/90690

Blue94 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

Gorgeous! Is the fondant rock-hard or does it have some give to it under pressure?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Any combo will last indefinitely if stored properly. Even straight fondant. I made the cake below in 2006 from various combos of gp and fondant and it's still in pristine condition.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/90690

Agree.

The thing I'd be worried about would be fading of some colours, for example gumpaste/fondant tinted purple with gel colours fades badly, as do some other colours.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue94

Gorgeous! Is the fondant rock-hard or does it have some give to it under pressure?

Rock hard. Tho, I still treat it as fragile. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%