Strawberry Extract

Baking By PistachioCranberry Updated 11 Sep 2012 , 12:27am by scp1127

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 9

I have googled, searched, looked, binged....well, you get the point. I love making my own extracts and wanted to make strawberry, but I haven't found any way to do it. Is it possible to do it like you would almond, vanilla, or citrus extracts? Or, is there some special process for strawberries?

If anyone has made their own, can you give me some insight.
TIA
Devona

8 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 9

It wouldn't be like making vanilla... I have never tasted a strawberry extract that tases like real strawberries. They are very artificial and taste like candies... YUCK!!

You might be better off making a strawberry compund by pureeing and then cooking most of the water out of some frozen berries in sugar syrup. I use that to flavor my icings and it's wickedly good.

PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 9

That does sound good. I just planted strawberry plants and would like to use some of them for flavorings when they grow. How long does it keep?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 9

In the freezer it will keep a long time. I freeze it in ice cube trays and then put them in a vacuum sealed bag. I have the little hand held Reynolds vacuum sealer and it rocks.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:57am
post #5 of 9

I'm not sure you can make your own strawberry extract because of the process. BUT, I know of a great one. Olive Nation makes (yes, they make it) the best extracts and they taste perfect, no chemicals.

PistachioCranberry Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 9

I made strawberry puree and made a cake and cupcakes with it today....YUM!

stickyhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stickyhoney Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 9

It's actually really easy and economical. Fill a mason jar of whatever size you'd like with good fresh or frozen strawberries - press them down a bit to get a good amount in there- and simply fill the jar with good vodka to the top - as much as it will allow. Put cheesecloth or a paper towel on the top of the jar and secure it with a rubber band. This allows any moisture from the strawberries to better evaporate. After a week or two you can remove this and cap the jar with a regular lid. Shake the jar well and keep it in a cool dark place and in another few weeks - keep shaking it every few days- you've got amazing strawberry extract. The longer you steep it the stronger it is. Pour the liquid into a bowl catching the berries in a strainer. You can run the liquid through cheesecloth to strain out all the little bits if you want it nice and clear and free of particles.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, olivenation has the greatest extract, etc. Love the strawberry.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 12:27am
post #9 of 9

The Olive Nation fruit extracts are not vodka based. They taste like pure strawberries if you taste them straight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%