Fading Color On Fondant..please Help

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm by Coral3

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 9

I made a double batch of lavender fondant yesterday and just now when I was ready to work with it, one side is grey and the other is the correct color. Im now afraid that if I cover my cake with it, it also will fade..any suggestions...I need to have this cake done today for an evening pickup..

8 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 9

Purple is nototious for fading... the red in it fades and you are left with a corpse blue/grey color. The best thing to do is use a powdered food pigment. Are you using wilton gel colors?? Americolor doesn't fade as much. If you have time... you can get some of that, but if not, try adding a teeny bit of red to a small bit of it and see if that can get you back to purple.

I learned that lesson the hard way in my early caking days. I never used Wilton colors again.

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 9

Corpse blue/grey is the perfect way to describe it!!! I will try the bit of red...thank you....I did knead it back to a lavender color, but Im now worried it will fade once on the cake...YIKES!!!! and yes..it was Wilton thumbsdown.gif ....(imagine that)

lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 9

Yes... anywhere the light hits will fade to that color. Keep it out of the light as much as possible and you should be okay. It will still fade no matter what though.

Invest in some Americolor gels... they are MILES better than anything Wilton has to offer.

cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 9

I do love Americolor...thank you

lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 9

gretch77 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 9

Also a great purple food color is Chefmasters no-fade ribbon purple.

Coral3 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 9

...actually I'm not convinced Americolor is any better. I've used their 'regal purple' and also 'electric purple' and they both fade terribly.

Coral3 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 9

I would suggest trying powder colour/petal dusts - I don't think they fade anywhere nearly as much as gel colours.

Or store it in the dark until delivery time.

Sometimes I'll make the purple a bit pinker than what I really want so that when it starts to fade out it will still look purple a bit longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%