Sugarveil + Humidity

Decorating By valcomer Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm by DianeLM

valcomer Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:52am
post #1 of 5

i know humidity plays a factor in the drying time of sugarveil...but once the lace is set and dry and on the cake does humidity still play a role in making it return to a sticky stage or melt if in a humid room or in the sun?

4 replies
emilyg Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 5

Hello Valcomer,

Once the SugarVeil Lace is set, the surface it is placed upon will take over to give it dry or soft characteristics. For example, on buttercream or ganache, SugarVeil will remain soft. Placed directly on cookies, SugarVeil will eventually become dry. On fondant, if the fondant becomes dry, SugarVeil will also become dry.

SugarVeil will never melt - you can even freeze it on the cake, if you like (put cake in box, then plastic bag secured around all). If you are in a very humid environment, design your SugarVeil decorations so they are supported by the cake. Here's specific tips for working with SugarVeil in humidity:

Let me know if you've any other questions - am happy to help.

Thank you,

Michele Hester

DianeLM Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 5

I wish I could link to a picture of the violin cake I made for ICES 2006 in Grapevine, TX.

The SugarVeil strings 'stretched' over the bridge like on a real instrument. They were not touching the cake.

Well, full-blast air conditioning in 100 degree weather resulted in aquarium-like conditions in the cake room. Honestly, it was so moist in there, I could see people's hair curl up before my eyes!

Needless to say, my SugarVeil strings drooped all the way down til they were literally stuck to the violin.

The key difference here is that the strings were NOT already on the cake. Once they drooped, they did not spread.

emilyg Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, Diane, for aquarium-type humidity, SugarVeil is best when supported by the cake. For your strings, it would be interesting to experiment spraying them front and back with a few coats of edible lacquer spray (the spray is usually used by chocolatiers to add a finish to chocolate). The lacquer spray seals the SugarVeil decorations and not only keeps the humidity out, but interestingly enough, allows the SugarVeil decoration to remain flexible for months. Julie Bashore does this with her SugarVeil samples when she teaches workshops.

DianeLM Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 5

The lacquer spray sounds intriguing, Michele. I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to try it, but I pray to the cake gods I remember this advice when I DO need it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%