Can Cake Pans Go Bad???

Baking By Lizmybit Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm by kakeladi

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:43am
post #1 of 7

I'm very frustrated! Every cake I have baked the past few weeks has crumbled along the edges when un-molding from the cake pans. I have a feeling it's one of three things.

1. Pans too old? My pans are several years old but is this even possible?

2. I haven't been using parchment in the bottom of the pan. I've never had a problem before, but now I don't know

3. I've been using the Wilton cake strips so I don't have to level too much. Could the strips be causing the cakes to stick?

Any suggestions would be helpful. FYI I have the Wilton pans and it doesn't matter what recipe I use. The only cakes that don't stick are if I use a mix.

Thanks in advance

6 replies
fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #2 of 7

I don't think it's the pans. I have pans that I inherited from my grandma that she probably bought in the 60s and they still work fine.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 7

What do you use instead of the parchment? I still do the old grease / flour even though it's messy, just because it's always worked for me. Is it sticking to the pans?

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:59am
post #4 of 7

Do you flour your pans? i used to grease and flour my pans and that is where my crumbs came coming from. I just put Crisco on my pan and the cakes come out fine and no crumbs. Hope this will help.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #5 of 7

I have that problem when I use the cake strips if it is too humid. I just run a knife around the edges before I take the cake out & I let it cool a little extra time in the pan. But sometimes the bottom still sticks... icon_cry.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7

How long are you cooling the cake layers before unmolding?

Usually, ten minutes is enough - if the cake layer is too cool or completely cool, the pan grease solidifies and acts like glue....

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 7

seriously doubt it's the pans. As someone else said, I have used pans from the '60 until the last couple of yrs (I no longer bake) and don't have that problem.

Usually when a cake does not come out of the pan you have not prepared the pan correctly. It sounds like you are not greasing (& I flour also) enough. One shoud not be able to see the pan (no shiny spots) when it is coated enough.
I never used parchments or wax paper in the bottoms of the pans. To me this was an extra step; more work that wasn't needed if you grease properly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%