3.4.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 4:42am by leah_s

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #1 of 20

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

From the other threads, it looks like there are some challenges happening tonight . .

19 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 20

I have a wedding cake and groom's cake tomorrow! FINALLY! Decorating a four tier, groom's cake is done.

Groom's cake is the Chicago Black Hawks logo, which I cut out of fondant and pieced together. And yes, I have permission from the team to use the logo. icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:47am
post #3 of 20

Getting ideas for a cake for a party at work next week....no baking tonight!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:49am
post #4 of 20

I have a beach themed cake...I'm not super excited about it either...and it's only a 6" round, lol, guess I'll be going to bed at a reasonable hour this friday!
What's the colors/design on the wedding cake Leah?

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:54am
post #5 of 20

Working on a sweet 16 cake for tomorrow and then have to bake some cakes for sunday which is gonna be a 3d monkey

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #6 of 20

i was having a ton of problems w/my fondant bc of humidity, but i got it to work! all four tiers are covered and i'm taking a rest icon_biggrin.gif also! its my first time using SPS! i'm so excited about not having to worry about the cake collapsing or some other impending disaster icon_biggrin.gif

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #7 of 20

Delivered a cake today- just posted pix http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1961549/ , none this weekend- it's my quarterly girl's night out tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that! 15 fantastic women at a great local restaurant. I should be in bed, but I can't help browsing the galleries before bed.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #8 of 20

Starting to have panic attack about my 4 tier due at end of the month after reading all the posts tonight about problems with stacking. I've been reading the sticky on SPS for weeks, ordered everything in advance, even doing my gumpaste roses this weekend, painted special symbol in gold tonight. I know I can bake the tiers (12/10/8/6) but reading all the problems that others have had makes me start hyperventilating. I donate all my cakes for charity so I hope all my planning will pay off. Hope people are on cc 3/31 in case I need help!

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:07am
post #9 of 20

Corrie, it's all white, swirls and pearls - BORING.

Cherie, the FNCC is here every Friday night beginning about 10:30. We've been doing this for several years. There's enough of the "old guard" that checks in that we should be able to troubleshoot nearly anything.

The stacking trouble threads tonight were not using SPS. Which legs did you buy?

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:08am
post #10 of 20

OMG I GET TO SHARE THIS!

I am making -ahem- AND ENGAGEMENT CAKE.

Not a fancy cake with an engagement ring in it, nononono, I mean a plain ol' cute open-gift-box-cake and under the krispie lid...I am to hide the engagement ring for the cust's lady under the fondant tissue paper.

Honestly.
I feel so lucky to get to do this!

So yeah I just took my first red velvet out of the oven. Crumb coat today and decorate tomorrow. Bow loops and tissue paper drying.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #11 of 20

I'm researching floor plans, equipment, health codes, and ideas for my new kitchen. I have a 10' x 26' rectangle - completely empty. Very exciting, but very scary!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #12 of 20

Leah, I have SPS with the 4" legs. I have an Agbay I got in October at a cake show and I've used it before. My husband is an engineer and he usually helps tort my cakes because he likes to do all the exact measuring etc.!

I did see on the SPS plates that I have to take off the little legs on them. I will do that this weekend. Still feel nervous after all these threads today...

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #13 of 20

SugarDugar--What fun! Congrats to the happy couple.

Leah--The hockey fan in me says "yeah" to the groom's cake but "booo" to the Blackhawks (long suffering LA Kings fan out here icon_rolleyes.gif )

I just got back from almost 4hrs round trip in traffic to deliver my display cake to the San Diego Cake Club show/competition. This is my first comp and I'm trying to not feel too disheartened now that I've seen what I am up against in the "beginner" category.

A friend picked up a birthday cake today for her little guy. Combo or Cat in the Hat & Mickey Mouse. Fun challenge finding a way to combine the 2 characters.

DH is planning to watch Avatar with the kidlets so it looks like I will hiding out with my Nora Roberts. Not much interest in "Pocahontas meets the Smurfs"

Kristy

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #14 of 20

sugardugar: that is exciting!

I finished a 9 inch round Southwestern themed cake about an hour ago. As finished as it's going to get, anyway. It's for my sister's birthday and she's not expecting it. I think the flaws are minor enough that they won't be noticed, but they still bug me.

I'm still working on getting clean cuts on fondant. The smaller side decorations are fine, but the big decoration for the top is a bit rough. I messed with it so much that I messed up the buttercream under it and I can't fix without removing the decoration. If I remove it, I'll have to make it again because it's so dry now. Since the evening is blech anyway, I'm not going to risk it. I'm telling myself, "live and learn!"

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:21am
post #15 of 20

I am working on a 3 tiered cake that I got covered in fondant hours ago but it did pass my inspection so I have re iced it, covered it in ganache and am waiting for it to set up so that I can cover it. It's gonna be a long night!!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #16 of 20

I have a number shaped cake due tomorrow. I will be hand carving the numbers. They are a 4 and a 1 ... it'll be my first time carving numbers...I'm glad these two are relatively easy numbers. And also a Hand carved Hello Kitty

Also I think I have found a commercial kitchen to rent. I go see it Tuesday. It's a 30 min drive however, it's at an innovation center. So I am one step closer to getting licensed. I'm super excited. I'm still fairly new, but the orders are coming in & I love it. I don't want to risk getting shut down and/or fined. I rather be legal & not leave anything to chance.

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:29am
post #17 of 20

Cherie, you're in good shape. Relax.

jenng, how exciting!

sugar, ditto - how exciting!

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #18 of 20

All I have in the works are A full sheet order ( I hate sheets!) and then 4 more sheets for samples at a bridal show we are doing this week end...also finshing up a dummy for the show..pretty excited about this new challenge! It is going to be a hanging upside down chandelier! No one around here has ever done anything like that...so hopefully it will draw us some attention and new customers.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #19 of 20

I'm working on a two tier cake for a babyshower tomorrow fashioned after the invitations and a first birthday cake for a little girl. Lemon filling made and cooling now, rapsberry filling made and cooling now. Ah! I forgot to get cream cheese so the peanut butter mousse filling won't get made until tomorrow morning. Oh yes, and finiahing up a quilt for the babyshower (tomorrow night) and making a swimsuit to take to Mexico on Sunday - I need a vacation.

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:42am
post #20 of 20

Wow! Sounds like we're all getting a little busy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%