Bleeding Cake Ughhh

Decorating By cake-fam Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 4:56am by cake-fam

cake-fam Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #1 of 8

I have a strawberry cake that the customer wanted covered n cream cheese frosting by DH. I have completed the crumb coat and spreaded on what I thought was going 2b the final coat b4 decorating, but the cake is bleeding MAJORLY. any suggestions or tips plz....cake has 2b done by tomorrow icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
cakedivamommy Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of 8

Did you put a dam around your filling?

cakeflake80 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 8

You definitely need a stiff dam for strawberry filling (I'm assuming it's strawberry filling, right?). And DH frosting is definitely hard enough to work just doesn't crust enough. When I need the 'cream cheese' icing taste but can't deal with storing the cake in the fridge, I mix some DH cream cheese icing in with my regular buttercream icing. It still crusts, just not as much.

cake-fam Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #4 of 8

im sry i wasnt clear its was a strawberry batter no fresh fruit. and with the batter i leveled the cake and the pinkish/red color from the batter is showing thru the cream chesse frosting.

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:48am
post #5 of 8

I think we're having a terminology problem.

Batter is uncooked.

Are you saying you can see the cake (baked of course) through the icing? If that's the problem you have two choices.
1) put on another coat of icing
2) don't use store bought icing to start with. It's too soft for good coverage.

cake-fam Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #6 of 8

thx...and ur rite regarding terms icon_smile.gif as bleeding may not have been the best term either....still new at everything... and im realizing that im runnin n2 most issues because a lot of my stuff is store bought as idk how to make homemade cream cheese for ex. so its all a work n progress..... i have just added another coat and it is btr hopefull no more issue

platinumlady Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:14am
post #7 of 8

I'm sending you a cream cheese recipe...This was giving to me by a decorator on this site because the recipe I used didn't crust. This recipe can be used under fondant.

cake-fam Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:56am
post #8 of 8

Thx a bunch platinumlady really appreciate it

Quote by @%username% on %date%