Help! Tiered Cake Problem

Decorating By AlwaysSweet Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm by AlwaysSweet

AlwaysSweet Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 5

I did a 10", 8" and 6" today and just tried to stack them... somehow, I guess with the layer of buttercream on the 8", the 10" and 8" are now basically the same size when stacked! There is no "ledge". I cannot stack them like this -- I don't know how the 8" got so wide -- I double checked the pan size I used -- definitely 8" and the other was 10", but they are just about even. Anyone have any ideas? It is for a bridal shower to feed 45-50 people.

4 replies
cakeflake80 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:15am
post #2 of 5

You could either scrape the icing off the 8", trim the edges a bit,and re-ice, but with a thinner layer....or maybe add more buttercream to the 10" to make it bigger. I would scrape/trim/re-ice the 8'' because too much icing on the 10" might make it way too sweet.

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #3 of 5

Scrape down the 8. There's too much bc on it.

andlydle Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #4 of 5

I like to use the cake board as a good indicator of where my icing needs to be. An added bonus is that it makes it easier to smooth.

Example: your 8 in cake should be placed on and 8 in board. without icing, you will notice that the cake board's diameter is larger than your cake's diameter. When I was brand new, I used to trim the cake board until one day it dawned on me that it wasn't such a good idea. When you smooth your icing just use the board as your guide- i like using a baker's blade (i think that's what it's called- it's kind of squatty with measurements and a nice straight edge).

This may not help so much now, but if you do this in the future, you won't have this problem again.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

AlwaysSweet Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

I am just not good at buttercream -- cant get it to look perfect like it does in other's photos... I didn't think it was too thick, it was not out even with the cake board... I smooth it with a baker's blade, then smooth the top, which messes up the sides, then smooth the sides, messes up the top, etc. I'm just not good at it. I've watched videos online and it doesn't help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%