Fondx And Fondant Mats

Decorating By nydivagirl Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 11:35pm by MollyHammond

nydivagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydivagirl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:22am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone ever tried FondX from Caljava online? Does it work well, how is the taste and textured of the fondant? Has anyone every used the fondant mat from this online site as well. I want to purchase FondX or the Elite colored fondant as I would like to start working with fondant. I understand that this fondant is suppose to be a little softer than regular fondant. I want to tried to make flowers as well so I need to know if anyone has every used FondX along with the fondant mat. I want to purchase these products, but I am not sure as I am new to cake baking. Thanks for anyone's help in advance!

11 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 12

I have not yet tried the Elite, but I like regular FondX very much. It is soft, smooth, and more "neutral" in taste than some. I'm not sure which mat you are referring to, but if it is The Mat by SweetWise, it works well with regular FondX.

Brenda1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda1219 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 12

I bought the mat from SweetWise and I love it. It made rolling fondant, and I use both buttercream and marshmallow, easier than anything I have ever done. I liked it so much I bought one for my mother-in-law for the 4H class she teaches.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:06am
post #4 of 12

I have also used Fondx (the regular stuff) and really like it alot. Easy to work with and easy to color also. I have the mat from SweetWise and I love it, works like a charm with Fondx. I am going to be switching to Fondx as the one fondant I will use as soon as the stuff that I now have is gone.

I don't do many cakes as I am a hobby baker but I was quite amazed how well "the mat" worked as I was apprehensive about getting it. I always struggle with fondant and this had made it so much easier.

diva_delites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diva_delites Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 12

OMG! is all i can say about this MAT system. I am in love. I had an oversized shoe that i needed to cover and keep in mind that i have only been using fondant since march, i was very nervous about this cake. BUT the MAT saved my life!! Please see the attached picture.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 12

Caljava has excellent customer service. Shipping charges are reasonable. I love the colors, workability and mild taste of regular Fondx. However, I have not tried the elite Fondx.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 12

Elite is softer than regular Fondx. When I got mine (at the Austin cake show), they recommended not cover anything larger than a 12" cake with Elite. I am pretty close to a fondant virgin icon_biggrin.gif, but have done really well with The Mat.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 12

I will not do business with Caljava again! Bad experience when there are so many others.

VenusCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VenusCake Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 12

Super happy with my MAT. I've used mine for almost a year and I'll never roll fondant any other way now. Love the FondX, too - I noticed the banner ad here that Sweet Wise is having a sale on their 2# colored FondX. Stocking up for Halloween, Christmas, New Year's..........

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 12

I love both Fondx and the mat! My only regret...not finding them both sooner!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 12

I LOVE FondX. I'm a hobby baker since the Wilton classes in Feb 2010. I switched from Wilton's fondant to FondX and it was like night and day! I purchase the regular Virgin White FondX and color it to my needs, except for black and red which I purchase in the Elite brand. (I have not made MMF, although it tastes far superior to any of the commercial fondant products. It is just too much hassle.)

I've tried Satin Ice, but FondX seems just as good (or better than), so I've stuck with FondX.

I personally don't like the taste or smell of the Elite fondant and it is far too soft for figure making. I'd recommend just coloring the regular white FondX and only using the Elite for the hard to get colors like red and black.

For just straight figure making, I go with the Wilton fondant and gum paste.

Here's a link to the CalJava "How to Use FondX and FAQ's"
http://www.caljavaonline.com/fondant1-howto-faq.htm

MollyHammond--so sorry you had a bad experience with CalJava. All of my contact with them online or in person has been excellent. I'm sure if you contacted them and told them what happened, they would make it right.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 12

They made it half right. I was responsible for repacking the wrong order that was sent to me and setting it out for UPS to pick up. Caljava couldn't tell me exactly what day it would be picked up. I didn't want it to sit out because it was fondant and the box stated that to keep away from heat. The weather here is very hot so I had to bring it in and then put it out the next day. I have a job and a very full life. I have dealt with companies and even owned my own business. If I sent out the wrong order, the customer would in no way be responsible for anything. It would have been my company's mistake. I just don't agree with how they handled this nor will I place another order with them.
Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%