Should We Burn Our Bras To Save The Ta-Ta's?

Lounge By cakelady2266 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:18pm by cakelady2266

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #1 of 22

Yall may have already heard this but it is new to me. I was flipping through the radio stations the other day when I came across a medical/news report I found interesting. A recent study showed that if you wear your bra for more than 12 hours a day you are increasing your chances of getting breast cancer significantly. And they went on say that if you wear a bra to bed those chances increase even more.

Is this just a load of crap or do we need to burn our bras to save our ta-ta's? What do you think?

21 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:47am
post #2 of 22

News to me but count me in! No more bras in the name of breast health? What's not to like? icon_lol.gif

I have to ask, though, are there really women who wear a bra to bed? icon_surprised.gif

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:02am
post #3 of 22

Yahoo! I knew there just had to be a rationalization for NOT wearing a bra all day if I'm just staying at home icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:06am
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

News to me but count me in! No more bras in the name of breast health? What's not to like? icon_lol.gif

I have to ask, though, are there really women who wear a bra to bed? icon_surprised.gif

Most of my pregnancy I have, but it's because they got so sensitive I had no choice. BUT, I don't wear my normal bras to bed, just cloth nursing bras.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 22

Ditto to Laurelj...I am home all the time and rarely wear mine unless customers are picking up cakes or I am going out.And who the heck invented or started wearing them to bed..That is just Insane!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 22

My 36 DD girls have to have support at all times or it's just not comfortable. icon_wink.gif

I don't usually wear a bra to bed (unless I'm so tired I fall asleep in my clothes) but I do either wear a sports bra or a camisole with a built in bra that doesn't have any underwire.

I thought the subject line was hilarious, btw icon_lol.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:49am
post #7 of 22

Usually, around the house the only thing covering those monsters is a floppy t-shirt. It's the second thing removed when I walk in the door. The first things removed are my shoes. Hey, call me hick if you like, but those bad boys need to breathe.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

Yall may have already heard this but it is new to me. I was flipping through the radio stations the other day when I came across a medical/news report I found interesting. A recent study showed that if you wear your bra for more than 12 hours a day you are increasing your chances of getting breast cancer significantly. And they went on say that if you wear a bra to bed those chances increase even more.

Is this just a load of crap or do we need to burn our bras to save our ta-ta's? What do you think?

This is a load of doo-doo...there's no medical proof of a bra causing breast cancer. I've heard this too over the years...some theorist say the underwire causes damage to the lymph system, possibly causing cancer. What a wives-tale!

cakelady2266 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:04am
post #9 of 22

Well I am a very old wife, Kellbella. This was a news/medical report about a actual medical study, not something someones grandmother said. I didn't say I was a firm believer in the theory, I had never heard it before and found it interesting. Now that having been said, I do wonder if there could be some truth in it because back when women didn't wear bras I don't think breast cancer was a wide spread as it is today.

emrldsky Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

Well I am a very old wife, Kellbella. This was a news/medical report about a actual medical study, not something someones grandmother said. I didn't say I was a firm believer in the theory, I had never heard it before and found it interesting. Now that having been said, I do wonder if there could be some truth in it because back when women didn't wear bras I don't think breast cancer was a wide spread as it is today.

I hear what you're saying, but back during those times a lot of things were different...there weren't hormones injected into meat or milk, pesticides weren't poured onto vegetables, and preservatives weren't the status quo.

There are probably a LOT of contributing factors that lead to the many types of cancers out there (some genetic, some from the environment), but it's going to be nearly impossible to pinpoint exactly where cancer comes from.

Sure, there are many things that have been known to CAUSE different forms of cancer, but those are usually situations where several factors have to be true.

That being said, one study showing there might be a link is not enough to get me to let my large girls move about on their own when they're already sore. Granted, I'm in a different spot than most of the women here, and before I got pregnant I wore nothing to hold the girls in place, but I'm already at a 40DDD and my milk hasn't come in yet.

I think I'll risk it and stick to wearing support at night, until I'm done breastfeeding and (hopefully) the girls return to their normal 36D size.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 22

Being a psychology major who had to read and execute a lot fo experimetns taht had a lot of poorly-reported conclusions, I'd say this:

If you wear a bra more than 12 hours a day you probably have larger breast than the average.

If you have larger breasts than average, you have more breast tissue than average.

If you have more breast tissue than average, it's likely that you have more of a chance of having, somewhere in there, a cell that turns on you and becomes cancerous.

It has nothing to do with wearing a bra and everything with the odds of having a cancerous cell that happens to be in breast tissue.

It's probably not a causal relationship, so don't start burning your bras yet.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 22

Our methods of detection are better than years ago, more women are doing self breast exams and getting their mammos on a regular basis and there is just sooo much junk in the environment, our food, etc....breast cancer is much more common than years ago. Costumeczar is right in her thinking....more fat=more estrogen=greater chance of getting breast cancer.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #13 of 22

I also think that years and years ago, cancer was such a taboo kind of illness it just wasn't talked about like it is now. So rather than there being more cases of cancer around now, I think we are just more aware of it.

TX_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TX_girl Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 22

Hope ya'll don't mind a newbie weighing in here icon_razz.gif

From what I understand, the reason that wearing a bra too much increases the risk of cancer is that is restricts the movement of lymph nodes which means that the toxins in that area of your body can't be processed properly.

It's the build up of toxins that actually contribute to cancer. At least, that's what I've read.

costumeczar Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_girl

From what I understand, the reason that wearing a bra too much increases the risk of cancer is that is restricts the movement of lymph nodes which means that the toxins in that area of your body can't be processed properly.

It's the build up of toxins that actually contribute to cancer. At least, that's what I've read.

I don't want to jump on you, but I don't think this is true.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 22

Quote.."I think I'll risk it and stick to wearing support at night, until I'm done breastfeeding and (hopefully) the girls return to their normal 36D size." [/quote]

I'm not so sure about that...When I got pregnant with both my kids my breasts ballooned up to 40DD..I was a 34B...They have and will never go back to a 34B.I am slimmer now than I ever was and my breasts are at 36C but they will never go back to what I was before I had kids...

Now if I had breast surgery that would be a different story but I'm too scared to do that!

emrldsky Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:18pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

.."I think I'll risk it and stick to wearing support at night, until I'm done breastfeeding and (hopefully) the girls return to their normal 36D size."

I'm not so sure about that...When I got pregnant with both my kids my breasts ballooned up to 40DD..I was a 34B...They have and will never go back to a 34B.I am slimmer now than I ever was and my breasts are at 36C but they will never go back to what I was before I had kids...

Now if I had breast surgery that would be a different story but I'm too scared to do that!

Oh no! Don't say that!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I'm too petite to be bigger than a D, lolololol. I think DH should start saving for some cosmetic procedures in the future, lol.

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Quote:

.."I think I'll risk it and stick to wearing support at night, until I'm done breastfeeding and (hopefully) the girls return to their normal 36D size."

Oh no! Don't say that!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I'm too petite to be bigger than a D, lolololol. I think DH should start saving for some cosmetic procedures in the future, lol.

Oh yeah, they tend to change sizes after kids...They either stay bigger, disappear, or you end up being able to tie them around your waist because they've changed direction and "elasticity". (My sister claims that that's what happened to hers.)

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #19 of 22

I too am petite..only 4'11 so I hear yah...My tata's hang to my waist now but who cares...Hubby doesn't.Nothing that a good push up bra won't fix!! Sorry for the Too much information...LOL

TX_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TX_girl Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Well, obviously, I'm no scientist, but it does seem like something worth considering.
Your point about women with bigger girls wearing a bra more/having more breast tissue is also logical.
Hmmm, I wonder if there's evidence of a higher incidence of breast cancer in *bigger* women. Now that would be interesting.

And as far as "jumping" on me, there's nothing wrong with logical debate icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Well, obviously, I'm no scientist, but it does seem like something worth considering.
Your point about women with bigger girls wearing a bra more/having more breast tissue is also logical.
Hmmm, I wonder if there's evidence of a higher incidence of breast cancer in *bigger* women. Now that would be interesting.

And as far as "jumping" on me, there's nothing wrong with logical debate icon_wink.gif

Oh, you'd be surprised. There are some people on here who if I said the sky is blue, they'd accuse me of attacking them personally. Whatever.

If you mean "bigger" as in overweight, there's a link between postmenopausal obesity and breast cancer. I don't know about premenopausal. I'm sure it has something to do with the amounts of estrogen in your system. More body fat=more estrogens, so after menopause when there should be less estrogen in your system, the excess probably throws everything off.

My mother died from breast cancer 4 years ago, so I've done some research into it, but as far as I've been told by the doctors I've spoken to my risk isn't any greater than the normal population. If you have several first-degree relatives they start looking at genetic components, but only one person dying could just be environmental. My mother was also very overweight, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

cakelady2266 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 22

Even though my kids are 17 and 13 I have to comment on the subject of increased size during pregnancy and breastfeeding. My boobs never got bigger during either.....everybody I know got bigger at least while they were pregnant. I from a 34 to a 36 because I carried both of them under my chin, but my cup size never changed. I felt kinda cheated, but oh well I guess it's just less to sag in my now old age...LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%