Baking 14'' And 16'' Cake And Not Getting Done In The Middle

Baking By Bri83 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 4:36am by platinumlady

Bri83 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a newbie caker, and i made a 14'' round cake that was 3'' deep. I used the silver wraps on the outside and the metal cylinder in the middle.
The suggested cooking time was 55 min at 325. I just used boxed cake and followed the ingredient instructions on the box.
Why does the cake take almost 1 hr 20 min to cook AND it still fell a little and seemed not quite down on one side....
Maybe i need to do a scratch recipe? or a converted box recipe
Maybe my stove can't handle a 3'' deep pan?
any help would be wonderful since i love to use the larger cakes for bases icon_smile.gif

8 replies
cabecakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 9

It sounds like you are on the right track with the baking strips, but if I could I would like to make a couple of suggestions. First, do you have an oven thermometer. Ovens aren't always reliable. Just because you set the temperature to 325 degrees doesn't mean it is heating to 325 degrees. This would be my first suggestion if you don't have one. I don't personally like the heating core when I am baking my cakes. Usually I will put a couple of flower nails inverted on the bottom of the pan (sticking straight up and sprayed with non-stick spray). Are you cooking times based on 2" pans or 3" pans? These will differ. I don't usually put to much stock in cooking times. I just lightly touch the top until it springs back and then check with a wooden skewer. Cooking times will vary to some degree depending upon how much batter you are putting in the pan as well. Until you establish a close estimate, you may want to measure out the amount of batter you are using until you figure out how much batter it takes to get the cake up to the desired height. Try not to check your cake to early as opening the oven door to early can cause the cake to sink in the middle (also if you close the oven door to hard).

Bri83 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #3 of 9

thanks for the advice!
I didn't even think that my oven temp may be off, i will go get an oven thermometer tonight!
I used a cooking guide i found on wilton.coms sight for the cooking times.
I tried not to open the oven door the 2nd time i was rebaking icon_smile.gif, after the timer was up i lightly tapped on the oven door to see if i could see the top of the cake still "jiggle". When it didn't jiggle anymore i opened the oven door and I used my wilton cake tester. It came out clean on one side so i took it out, but then after 10 minutes i saw one side deflated slighlty. (the opposite side that i tested)
What is the purpose of the flower nails? and where do i find them?
i will be checking out your blog, its great to read about your mistakes after you make them, a light bulb goes off and ding!

thank you for your help, i really appreciate it!

MimiFix Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:07am
post #4 of 9

Large, deep, cake pans take a significantly longer time to bake. 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees sounds about right. I've also poured quickbread batter into roasting pans when I needed lots of product - and those bake that long, too. When testing for doneness, make sure to do both sides of the middle.

Pagea Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:14am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri83

What is the purpose of the flower nails? and where do i find them?

Hi Bri83,

I'm still learning but the purpose of the flower nail is to act as a heating core(while baking)..they are smaller, you can use more (for larger cakes) when/if you need to. They are very easy to use and once you remove your cake from the pan you just pull the flower nail out..no cake to replace icon_smile.gif . With that being said..the flower nails are primarily sold by Wilton to use when making buttercream flowers. You can find them at craft stores like Michael's, JoAnn Fabrics in the cake decorating dept, and cake supply stores. HTH.

madgeowens Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #6 of 9

I always use the cones in the center of cakes larger than 10 inch, I think they work better than nail

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:01am
post #7 of 9

I started using the flower nail method...a few weeks ago I think. It's amazing Just...amazing. LOL. I don't use strips on the outside, just the nails. I add one for 8/10" and beyond that an extra one for every 2".

Also..for sheet cakes...I find it helps a ton to turn heat down by 50 when you see the outer edges cooking.

HTH

mandyloo Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:19am
post #8 of 9

I definitely agree with the suggestion(s) of using an upside down flower nail. I use them for cakes larger than 10 inches, and rarely have issues.
I also agree that the longer baking time sounds right.

platinumlady Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #9 of 9

Sugarduger ... I did to. I love this method. I started using them almost a month ago & share it with another local hobby baker. It's crazy wild how great it works.

Bri83 give this a try next time you bake. I don't pay attention to bake times anymore because it does slow the cook time...I normally end up adding at least 20 min to larger cakes. However, I never have a problem with cakes not being done any more

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%