Logistics Opinions, Please (Topsy T, Fondant, Imbc)

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 9

I'm working on my first topsy turvy cake for tomorrow afternoon. I have all three tiers torted, layered, crumbcoated, and in the refrigerator. I used IMBC for the first time, and I'm concerned about leaving it out of the frig for too long. Ordinarily, I think I would carve, fondant and stack my cake and decorate tonight, with any finishing touches tomorrow, but I'm concerned about the IMBC melting or sweating and ruining my fondant.

I mixed the IMBC with raspberry jam, and it started to get a little funky toward the end of my crumbcoating (maybe I should have reserved some plain IMBC for outside coating??)

My question is, would you wait until tomorrow to fondant and stack the tiers? If I do tonight, do I refrigerate (which I thought I couldn't do, once the MMF is on)? WWYD?

8 replies
lrlt2000 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 9

Let me specify: I'm not concerned about food spoilage! I'm concerned about sweating/melting. icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 9

what about using ganache under the fondant and leaving it out? I think the ganache would hold it well.

lrlt2000 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 9

OMG! I can't add another task right now. . . I didn't tell you: I have a 9 and a 7 year old, plus a 7 month old, all of whom are high maintenance. I think I started this cake on Tuesday, just so I could get it all done in between school drop offs, pick ups, after school activities, sleepless nights, whiny baby, etc. LOL!

In a different world, though: wouldn't the warm ganache affect the chilled IMBC?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:11am
post #5 of 9

actually if you make it and let it sit out to thicken up like peanut butter it wouldn't affect it at all!! I have done it before and it worked like a charm. You just have to make sure that your imbc is well chilled.

lrlt2000 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 9

I understand. . . I don't have the time or the materials to make the ganache, unfortunately icon_smile.gif Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in my quill icon_smile.gif

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 9

i put my fondant cakes in the fridge all the time and never had a problem with them i have one in their now

lrlt2000 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9

IT DID EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD!!!!!!! MY IMBC is sweating/melting and causing the fondant to melt and dissolve. Is it the jam that I put in it!!?????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

lrlt2000 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 9

Not too bad, for a first try at both Topsy Turvy *and* IMBC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%