Is This A Sheet Pan For Cake Or Cookies Or Both?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm by tryingcake

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 16

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this....I just looked in my cabinet and saw what I always considered to be 'cookie pans'... they are the 17x25x1 pans.... but then I remembered seeing cakes done on TV in pans that looked like that! so are they sheet pans for cakes? if so are there any tricks to making them bake evenly? I've never put anything in them except cookies! icon_smile.gif

and, would one box mix be enough for a cake that size or would I need more?

15 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 16

Something that shallow, I would call a jellyroll pan. But I use them for cookies all the time! icon_lol.gif

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 16

Those are what I first used when making sheet cakes. I use them for both cakes & cookies. As far as if a cake mix will be enough, I'm not sure but I think a WASC would be enough? Cake mixes vary by manufacturer. HTH

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 16

Yes, those are sheet cake pans.

They even sell extenders for them:

http://www.pastrychef.com/SHEETPAN-EXTENDERS_p_1270.html

I think they bake evenly because they're so thin. I thought the standard size is 18 x 26 x 1, but I could be wrong.

They used to call them jelly-roll pans, too. Not sure about how much batter from a box mix you would need for them.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, we also call them jellyroll pans around here too. We usually use them for making pumpkin rolls or other types of pinwheel cakes. But you could also use them to make thin layers for stacked cakes or also use them for making thin layers for petit fours. If you want to use them for petit fours just add a thin layer of cake batter, bake and cool. Slice into four sections, ice three and stack, adding the uniced section on top. Pour melted chocolate or glaze over the top.

cloetzu Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 16

oki doki - I will try using one and see what happens!

cabecakes - thanks for the idea for the petit fours!

cloetzu Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 16

okay - embarrassed again - i got the size wrong - they are 17x12x1 - so half what I said before... either way I'm going to try with one mix and see what happens icon_wink.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 16

Half sheet pan, then?

You know that dobos torte? I want to make one, and of course I don't have 5+ cake pans of the same size and I refuse to make the layers using my 2 pans twice, or torte that thinly, so I'm going to use a sheet pan. Then I'll cut the layers with a ring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileicon_biggrin.gifobos_cake_(Gerbeaud_Confectionery_Budapest_Hungary).jpg

Let us know how it goes. I should ask how much batter you have to put in them? Maybe half an inch?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:20am
post #9 of 16

imagenthatnj: I made a cake like that once. I used disposable aluminum pans.

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 16

oh, thank you, cheatize. Now I remember that somewhere I had a blog post with all those aluminum pans; someone used 14 of those! Maybe it was you!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Half sheet pan, then?

You know that dobos torte? I want to make one, and of course I don't have 5+ cake pans of the same size and I refuse to make the layers using my 2 pans twice, or torte that thinly, so I'm going to use a sheet pan. Then I'll cut the layers with a ring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileicon_biggrin.gifobos_cake_(Gerbeaud_Confectionery_Budapest_Hungary).jpg

Let us know how it goes. I should ask how much batter you have to put in them? Maybe half an inch?

I've made Dobos torte with the half-sheet pan. Mine was a triangle. I cut rectangular strips in graduated widths, then stacked them on top of each other widest to narrowest.

Funny you should mention this. We were just embarrassing my son by showing old home movies, from when he was a baby, to his gf (he'll be 22 next month). At one Christmas dinner, there's video of me trying to cut the Dobos torte which I covered with melted chocolate chips. Needless to say, it didn't start out very smoothly! I think heard someone in the background ask for a chain saw. LOL

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 16

Diane, I had a hard time picturing the triangle cake, so I had to google.

Is it kind of like this? She's got vertical layers, though, and that's probably why it took her 3 hours to assemble...lol...I think you said you stacked yours on top of each other.

http://kitchensimplicity.com/dobos-torte-daring-bakers/

Photos at the bottom.

Sorry, cloetzu for hijacking your thread, but I'm hoping you know can find lots of ways of using your half sheet pans! They're handy. With that and some cutting rings, I would almost have no need for round pans! Plus, some people use the baking rings to bake on the sheet pan, too. I've done it. I have a baking ring that can be made into any size.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 16

Oh yeah!!!!!! You are absolutely right! The layers were vertical! It's all coming back to me now. icon_smile.gif

I made two stacks, then turned them upright and glued them together.

The recipe was from my McCalls Cooking School subscription. By the third time I made it, I had changed virtually every step. Reminds me of Wilton instructions. What are these people thinking? Do they actually test their recipes? icon_smile.gif

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 16

Oh Diane...I am so glad you addressed Wilton's instructions. They are TERRIBLE! They leave a lot of information out that are critical to various cake situations.

To the Op, I made a 6 layer cake from the sheets you have for a "Blonds vs Brunettes" flag football game my daughter ran as a fund raiser for Alzheimer's. I alternated yellow and chocolate to represent the two teams. I first used this pan for a jelly roll cake as some cakers mentioned above. Good luck & have fun!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

oh, thank you, cheatize. Now I remember that somewhere I had a blog post with all those aluminum pans; someone used 14 of those! Maybe it was you!

I think I saw that too, on Bakerella's blog. Not sure though!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 16

This is the pan I use for my bridal show samples. Mine is 15x something. 1 cake mix fits perfectly. Then I ice and cut into 1" squares. Perfect for passing out at bridal shows.

They bake evenly and in about 15-20 minutes.

I also use them to make layers sheets. So much easier than cutting for torting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%