Help With Wedding Cake!

Decorating By crkrjax_76 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm by amyoungbl00d5

crkrjax_76 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 9

My niece is getting married on the 17th and she wants me to make her wedding cake. The problem is, I'm 200 miles away from her, and I'm going to my sisters house on the 10th. She's wanting a small 3 tier white cake with rose accents. I'm not good enough at spreading buttercream, I have always used fondant. I know my sister can't freeze the cake if I deliver it next week. I'm sure I already know the answer, but there really isn't any feasible way to make the cake next week for the wedding on the 17th, is there?

8 replies
pixiefuncakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 9

Can you bake the cake and freeze it - take it to your sisters and just do the decorating at her house? I you make all your flowers/figurines etc in advance, so all you have to do is cover, stack and decorate (yeah thats ALL).
Oh hang on, I just had a reread - do I understand that you are not going to be at the wedding?

crkrjax_76 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 9

No, I won't be there as I have to work that week. I'm going to my sisters next weekend and we're going on to our hometown to take care of some family business (around 800 miles round trip for me).

KASCARLETT Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, it can be done, it will just take some advance planning. I did it for my neice's wedding a few years ago. I live approx that far from her and my situation was similar to yours.

This is what I did: I made the cakes and buttercream ahead of time. Wrapped the cakes extra well and froze them. I also froze the buttercream. All of the decorations, etc was done ahead of time, I just took them with me.

You can keep the cakes in the cooler that you put them in to travel. When you get there, you can take the buttercream out, it will be okay. You will probably need to mix it again before you use it because bc may separate. You say that you aren't very good at spreading buttercream? Well, look at my neice's wedding cake in my photos (the one with the long stem roses illusion) and see how I iced it! lol If you want fondant, just take it with you and do it there.

cabecakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 9

Fondant really doesn't freeze well (In my experience, anyway). Is there another family member that could transport the cake for you, or is there anyway your sister could come and pick it up the day before. If you had it completely prepared, just not stacked, would your sister be able to stack it with instructions? However, if you do decide to try and freeze a test cake. And when you remove it from the freezer, bring it back to room temperature slowly. Place in the refrigerator for a while, then in a really cool location, and then lastly to countertop. Maybe with a fan on low lightly blowing on it. Just some suggestions.

KASCARLETT Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 9

Oh, I guess I read that wrong, I thought you would be there! lol

crkrjax_76 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 9

Well,I think the best we've come up with is, I've got the cakes baked and frozen. I'm going to transport them frozen to her house this weekend. Then Monday, I'll finish them up and have my sister keep it tightly locked up. If the cake is stale, she's willing to accept it.

CWR41 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 9

It won't be stale from Monday the 14 'til the 17th... it'll taste even better after several days. Glad you found a solution that works out.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

If you use buttercream you can do it..bake your cakes freeze, make your decorations ahead....frost when you get to their house. Stack and decorate.Just make sure she has the space in the fridge for the cake. I make my cake ahead and keeping them in fridge for up to 7 days ahead. The cake seems to mellow nicely! Hope that helps! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%