Classic Yellow Cake

Baking By celebrationcakes3 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm by scp1127

celebrationcakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celebrationcakes3 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

I have been using the classic yellow cake recipe for about a year now. Very rich, moist and it just melts in your mouth...Perfect cake! However, recently I have been experiencing problems with my cakes...Every time i bake this cake it has a wet line just above the bottom crust. I bake it as i usually do, but can't figure out what is the problem....can anyone help to share what might be the problem here? Thnks

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 5

Usually that is too much moisture. But since this is your recipe, find what changes may have occurred. A new oven, oven temp no longer calibrated, new ingredient brand? Just some suggestions.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

Do you have a link for the recipe?

If it is happening all of a sudden, then check your ovens too. Are they old? They could be going. Mine went slowly over several months before I noticed. One of the things I did notice is that it took just a little longer to cook anything, not just cakes, than it used to. Then one day I made cupcakes and used both ovens. The lower oven had beautiful cupcakes, the upper ones did not raise as high nor brown as nicely. I went a bought two oven thermometers and sure enough the upper oven was off by 25 degrees and was progressively getting worse. Seeing how my ovens were 20 years old, they conveniently did not make the parts for them anymore and I had to replace them.

So check your ovens.

celebrationcakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celebrationcakes3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 5

hey guys, if you just type in Classic yellow cake in google, you should get the recipe. Actually it asked for 1 cup sour cream, but i replaced it with 1 cup milk instead and i separate the eggs. I have used a gas range and an electric oven, and i still end up with the "wet" line at the bottom. I have tried not over mixing, but it still occurs. The only cakes i am making right now is chocolate cakes, because i can't be selling a cake that looks that way. I can't figure what is happening, and i just need all the help i can get. thnk you guys so much.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 5

Usually the milk is replaced with sour cream to stop the excess moisture. Have you tried it with the sour cream? Again, if you have had good results in the past, look for what may have changed. But the sour cream should help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%