Recipe/suggestions For A "light" Cake...

Baking By Kristi0122 Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 8:12pm by RedRoxx

Kristi0122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristi0122 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! New to this wonderful web site and forum! Great ideas. I tried the WASC cake with yellow cake mix for my sister's birthday. Everyone loved the cake, but my mom (whose birthday is coming up next) told my sister she liked it, but wished it would have been lighter. It came out very dense, almost like pound cake.

What recipe do you suggest? Also, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the buttercream icing recipe with the addition of Creme Bouquet extract, although I did substitute just lemon, vanilla, and almond extract in place of it. That is the icing I will use for the cake.

Thanks!

6 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 7

sounds to me like mom likes box mix cakes...when people want light and fluffy, I just give them box mix and they love it, way less stress for you also.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7

Scratch. The correct recipe made with cake flour is very light and fluffy. Just make sure you find a recipe that calls for cake flour, do not substitute at your whim by adding less flour. There is more to a cake recipe formulated to be used for cake flour than the amount of flour you use.

But it sounds like you are not a scratch baker, so probably a nondoctored cake mix is what your Mom wants, like Corrie76 said.

Kristi0122 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks y'all. Will try one of the suggestions mentioned.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #5 of 7

I also prefer light cakes and usually use a mix. However, when I got married I tested several scratch recipes and the lightest one I could find was the Feather light white cake in the Five Roses Cookbook. It's a very old cookbook. Also, I came across this light sponge cake recipe. I've never made a sponge cake, but this one looks good...
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516400

Kristi0122 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Cakesrock. Will have to test it out before her birthday. Still have a couple of weeks!

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 7

What about an angel food type cake? I just made some cupcakes with a chiffon cake recipe (which I guess is angel food) and they were pretty light. icon_smile.gif

If you don't have cake flour (which was needed in the chiffon recipe) you can make some by adding cornstarch to AP flour.

1 cup cake flour = 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp AP flour + 2 tbsp cornstarch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%