Local Cake Contest Entry

Decorating By Winnie_in_Wi Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 9:03pm by kakeladi

Winnie_in_Wi Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I'm down to the wire of having to finalize a design for a local cake contest. The contest is for non-pros only. I have NO IDEA how elaborate the cakes entered are going to be or if I'll have 2 competitors or 20. There is no theme for the contest and this is the first time there has been a contest. I don't even know what the prize is, probably just my picture in the local newspaper. About the only requirement they have is that decorations and frosting must be edible and it must be 8 inches across. Dummies can be used. The judging criteria will be, Appearance, Creativity, and Consumer Appeal.

So w/o being able to draw a pic for you here these are my ideas;

Idea 1

Two tier fondant cover. Top tier pink quilted, second tier white with pink abstract flower cutouts. Topper of white gumpaste baby shoes with tiny pink flowers on them. The whole cake accented with pink gelatin butterflies outlined in disco dust. Board covered in pink fondant with a satin ribbon edge.

Idea 2

A wedding cake. I've never made one so it will be good practice. 3 tier. Top tier will be 6" with the big 1M roses that have recently started making the rounds (I like those), middle tier fondant covered with cornelli lace piping, bottom tier fondant in those pretty billowy fondant quilts. I've not done the quilts, but I'm willing to work up a practice cake (my own birthday is next week to practice. I was also thinking that maybe put the rose tier in the middle as it might be "heavier" than the lace tier.

OK, those are my ideas. I'd love to hear which one you thing would be most competitive. I'm also thinking of going with dummies because the cakes will not be cut and I surely don't know what to do with that much cake. I am friends with a girl who works for the place putting on the scompetition so I could always just have her cut it up and pass it out to people there after the judging a to get rid of it, but if I did dummies I woldn't be in such a rush of worrying about stale cake. What's your take?

3 replies
heathermeg Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 4

Personally I love your idea for the wedding cake...it sounds gorgeous. I would also use dummies seeing that no one is going to be eating it and its not required. I stress the most about the dang cakes...more than decorating it. So whenever I can use dummies, I do! Good luck and hope to see pictures!!

CakeCrystals Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

My vote is for the wedding cake idea as well. Sounds lovely. Good luck on the competition and post some pics.

kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 4

Well............both ideas are delightful soundingicon_smile.gif
I'm thinking the baby/first idea would really show off your skills.
Using dummys is fine. It is different than working on a real cake. If you feel you need/want the practice of working on cake, I like the idea you suggested for using it. OR you can give it to a (small) nursing home/senior residence OR your local fire or police department OR if you know of one, a shelter for battered women.

Quote by @%username% on %date%