So, Why Can't I Bake And Decorate A Cake In One Day?

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm by kickasscakes

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 10

I have an order for a small 8" cake, I would like to bake, fill, ice with ganache and then fondant TODAY. Am I asking for trouble doing it all in one day?

9 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 10

Im doing the same , I think its going to be a long night ! Good luck

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 10

I personally think that you will be fine doing it all in one day. Just make sure that you allow the cake to cool completely before you start icing. HTH.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 10

usually, smaller cakes like the 6" and 8" sizes pose less threat of disaster. You could do it as long as you plan out the process throughout the day and make sure the cake is is given time to completely cool, you let the ganache set up completely. Remember the 'fridge is your friend and will help considerably!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 10

I think the big issues are cooling and settling. As the cake stands, it settles lower. If you go straight to fondant, the weight of the fondant could cause a bump to push out between layers. Some people place a weighted object on top to help the process along before covering with fondant.

Do you have time to let it settle for several hours at least?

kickasscakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 10

I don't really have time to let it settle for hours, maybe an hour or so....
I will be ganaching the cake, so it should not bulge...
I have the ganache set up, (made a few days ago)
I will make sure the cake is very cool, and such...

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 10

I had to do the same thing yesterday with my wonky cake I just posted. A lot of work in one day but it can be done. After you ganache and scrape, put the cake into the fridge while you get your fondant ready so that the ganache will get a "shell" that way you don't have to let it sit over night. If you're using a fondant that is fridge friendly, you can pop it back into the fridge for about 30 min after getting the fondant one so the fondant can become the same temp as the cake, and you wont get large air bubbles. Have plenty of coffee standing by! icon_smile.gif

kickasscakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 10

thanks everyone.
I am using satin Ice and a regular fridge.... I find the fan in the walk in fridge scary for use with cakes... It blows baby!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

An 8" cake should be fine if you let it cool, and you use a nice stiff filling. icon_smile.gif That being said - you can still get a nice bulge with ganache. You shouldn't have a bad "blow out" type bulge, but the filling can still push the ganache out and it will "sag" down. (Ask me how I know icon_cry.gif !) icon_cry.gif

kickasscakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 10

thanks for the heads up!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%