Mmf Recipe Trouble: Please Help!

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 9

I've made MMF countless times, but for some reason, I can never get all of the called for p.s. kneaded in. I always use Peggy's MMF recipe (http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm), which calls for 16oz marshmallows, 2lbs powdered sugar, 2-5 tablespoons of water and 1/2c. Crisco for hands and kneading surface.

What always happens is I can never get all of the powdered sugar worked into the dough before it become too stiff to work (and it's not elastic, but sort of "crumbly" when you rip it). I usually stop when I still have about 1/3 lb p.s. left. It usually is fine, but I always wondered if it would be better if I was able to get it all worked in. So, this time, I tried. . . and it seems too dry and stiff! Adding water just makes it mushy and less elastic. I tried more Crisco, but it's still not becoming elastic!

Is my problem that I'm not working all of the powdered sugar into the dough?? Or should I still just to stop once it starts to become too stiff to continue incorporating?

Please help! Thanks!

8 replies
jenscreativity Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 9

Ok..so you should NOT use all of the p.s. if you don't need to. Once you are done kneading it to it's correct consistency,,then no need to add more, or it will dry your MMF out. You can always add more,,but NOT take away..so do little by little. Make sure your p.s. is sifted..it helps a lot. Also,,add glycerine into your fondant to make kneading a lot easier/flexible and so much more..just a little bit though.

I have been using MMF for 5 years and honestly,,I tried Michele Foster's fondant and it's amazing! I tried made it last week and used it on my anniversary cake(you can see in my forum if you like),,but anyways,,I don't want to go back to MMF anymore..it's a pain-in-the-butt to try and get the right consisentency EVERY time so I found that glycerine does miracles to my fondant and Michele Foster's fondant recipe has that in there and OMGOSH,,I LOVE working with this stuff and it's sooooo good!! Plus,,,you make it in your Kitchen aid mixer AND you DO NOT have reheat to keep your dough pliable(recipe calls to NOT do that at all) , you just add more glycerine instead and it's only a little.

You HAVE to try Michele Foster's fondant recipe in the recipes section on here..I don't like MMF anymore for all of the frustrating work it entails and sticyness! In the meantime,,try glycerine to help you! Best of luck and if you try that recipe I recommend, let me know what you think. I promise you you will LOVE it!

debbief Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 9

Definately stop when you feel you have the right consistency. I never use all of the required ps. I actually use quite a bit less than the recipe calls for. Maybe it's because I live in a dry climate...not sure.

I've tried mff before and it didn't work for me. I was just starting out though so maybe now that I have a little more experience I'll have better luck so may try again sometime.

But honestly mmf works well for me. And you can add a touch of glycerine to that as well for elasticity. Or even karo syrup works.

madgeowens Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

Ok..so you should NOT use all of the p.s. if you don't need to. Once you are done kneading it to it's correct consistency,,then no need to add more, or it will dry your MMF out. You can always add more,,but NOT take away..so do little by little. Make sure your p.s. is sifted..it helps a lot. Also,,add glycerine into your fondant to make kneading a lot easier/flexible and so much more..just a little bit though.

I have been using MMF for 5 years and honestly,,I tried Michele Foster's fondant and it's amazing! I tried made it last week and used it on my anniversary cake(you can see in my forum if you like),,but anyways,,I don't want to go back to MMF anymore..it's a pain-in-the-butt to try and get the right consisentency EVERY time so I found that glycerine does miracles to my fondant and Michele Foster's fondant recipe has that in there and OMGOSH,,I LOVE working with this stuff and it's sooooo good!! Plus,,,you make it in your Kitchen aid mixer AND you DO NOT have reheat to keep your dough pliable(recipe calls to NOT do that at all) , you just add more glycerine instead and it's only a little.

You HAVE to try Michele Foster's fondant recipe in the recipes section on here..I don't like MMF anymore for all of the frustrating work it entails and sticyness! In the meantime,,try glycerine to help you! Best of luck and if you try that recipe I recommend, let me know what you think. I promise you you will LOVE it!

do you have to refrigerate this fondant due to the milk? can you use cofeemate instead of milk I wonder?

lrlt2000 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 9

Do you guys think I could salvage this batch by melting more marshmallow or glycerin and working in?

jenscreativity Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 9

NO REFRIDGERATION NEEDED!! It will keep for a month,,if you want it longer,,then freeze in double wrapped saran wrap and in freezer bag,,and thaw at room temperature ONLY...before you work with it again. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE any time at all ,once this is made, or you will ruin your fondant..

AWESOME stuff and you won't regret making it! It's really easy to make, work with and tastes awesome!! NO MORE MMF fondant messes for me!!

debbief Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

Do you guys think I could salvage this batch by melting more marshmallow or glycerin and working in?

I actually just tried this last night because I tried using dark colored candy melts to make dark colored fondant for the first time. My finished fondant was not right. It tore easily when I rolled it and it wasn't flexible at all.

I'd add more marshmallows than you think you'll need because you'll have to knead in a little more ps to get it back to a dough consistency after melting it all up.

Don't just melt the marshmallows and try to knead it in, melt the whole batch of fondant with additional marshmallows. Just like you were starting over. It worked for me.

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 9

Irit2000, you don't have to use all the powdered sugar.

Here's some hints, tips and tricks for you:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

I do think you could salvage that batch by melting marshmallows and/or adding Crisco and glycerin to it.

lrlt2000 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, everyone! I did salvage it (thankfully, because I have just enough materials on hand!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%